January 9, 2021

Over 200 Escambia County residents will receive their payments from the Escambia CARES Family Assistance Grant program.

The county set aside $16.5 million in CARES Act funds for local families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic — enough to send $3,000 checks to 5,500 families. Escambia County announced at the end of December that the last checks had been issued to qualified residents.

But there were actually 5,736 applications marked approved, 236 more than the available funds. Those applicants would see the word “Approved” on their online applications, leading them to believe the check was in the mail. The program was actually contingent on available funds, so those residents received nothing when the approved applications were processed in the order received.

“We’ve got to make that right,” Escambia County Commissioner Jeff Bergosh said. “We cannot tell someone they’re funded and then leave them hanging and never communicate with them again and pull the rug out from under them.”

The Escambia County Commission has voted to allocated another $708,000 to the program to cover the 236 families. Most will receive their $3,000 check without about two weeks after all the necessary paperwork is on file.

Comments

40 Responses to “236 Escambia Residents Approved For CARES Act Grants Were Not Paid. Now The Checks Will Be Mailed.”

1. Mildred Jackson on January 14th, 2021 9:48 pm

Mines was saying it was under review and I just needed to send in my 1040 form in I went down there to the main court house and checked on it to see was that all she said yess I needed to send it in then when i did i got a email from Mr Maxwell pP. Roger’s email saying they are no longer excepting information on this email anymore about the cares grant so I don’t know if i need to go down there or try to send it to him again through escambia cares grant email

2. Tangela S. Howard on January 14th, 2021 12:35 pm

Happy New Year’s for of all!. I personally want to thank Commisoner Jeff Begosh for recognizing the applicants that were approved but they have not received their checks. I applied for the application around September 2020 and I signed my W9 form and emailed it and still did not hear anything. However, I completed another W9 form and Mrs. Christine Crespo scanned my W9 form and she contacted the caseworker that was receiving my paperwork! I had everything complete and no check! So, I am being patient like Job of course I am not Job! lol My application first stated pending then I reset my password and then it said application under review! Lord help me today! Thank you and I hope everyone that applied review a supernatural breakthrough! Amen
    Tangela S. Howard

3. Justen J george-Landrum on January 13th, 2021 2:48 am

I applied as soon as the application window opened. I submitted all required documents, and within the 3 weeks no County Representative contacted me to notify me of the status of my application. I called and sent a few emails hoping that someone would answer or reply, so I can be certain I didn’t make the slightest mistake. But months later my application still says “Application Submitted”. Now, all processing of applications for the Grant Program has closed. All applicants have been made aware of their status through the application portal. Since, the status of application for my household states “Application Submitted”, does it mean it was obviously submitted but not accepted? If so, it would be nice to know why my household wasn’t eligible instead of being ignored and basically left hanging; because we were negatively impacted by the pandemic. I was not able to work from March to May (even now, the business I work for is still not running on full capacity.) My husband’s work hours were also reduced around that time. We were living off credit cards. When I finally got my unemployment checks, they were only enough to cover the bills. Also, I know people who were approved and got their checks from the Family Emergency Grant and their 2019 income were higher than my household’s. So how come they were approved and my family wasn’t? I called a couple more times and left voicemails, sent several emails, but no success. I need to know if my application was even seen by someone at all… (We were impacted by Hurricane Sally, too. Our insurance for the house was a joke. And FEMA denied our application for assistance.) I’m happy for the families who got approved and received their checks, but I can’t help to feel very disappointed because I don’t even know what happened to my application. My family was really counting on getting the Grant.

4. Case #32402 on January 11th, 2021 11:33 pm

5. Melissa on January 11th, 2021 1:00 pm

Me and my cuzzin was approved for the payment also and when calling clara s.long about the payments we was told check were coming in the few weeks it was at clerk office last stop to being sent out,this is crazy because ppl like us went from being stable to No Christmas,for kids bills behind,of getting cut off due to waiting for this payment Meanwhile we watching the news and checks were being cutt for ppl doing fraudulent activity and they hadn’t had to wait or have all these documents they are ask for now , Question how is that far to the one with paperwork that’s been in the system waiting for payments,this isn’t far to the 236,family’s who just went through hell and still isn’t payed,

6. Earnestine L Taylor on January 11th, 2021 12:34 am

Need a grant to catch up my Bill’s

7. Cory on January 10th, 2021 9:44 pm

I really pray that I’m in that listing because I really fell on hard time haven’t really fully recovered from Hurricane covid-19 Sally at all and still unable to find a job at the present moment please send it help it would be much needed

8. SANTANA HALL on January 10th, 2021 9:32 pm

Its telling me that I have an account but I never did this. How can I get the right information

9. Juan Lopez on January 10th, 2021 8:32 pm

I need help

10. Mershell Franklin To be I'm just a mother Danny help on January 10th, 2021 7:41 pm

I’m a mother a grandmother That need some help Which I believe we all fall short But by the grace of God trouble don’t last always have the always remind myself with my grandma told me So thank you and make I bless you

11. Gwen Bolar on January 10th, 2021 6:13 pm

I was in class of pending and because my address did’n't matchmy 1099. My case number is 42218 please I need the money to fine a place to stay.thank you

12. Bayleigh medeiros on January 10th, 2021 6:05 pm

My status has been “approved “ complete” for weeks never got the check.Finally call to see what is going on after multiple emails to the man who reach out to me telling me I was approved.To find out there was no more money light bills and behind due to be cut off with a newborn these people don’t care! I hope they make this right for ALL not “most”

13. Lisa Morgan on January 10th, 2021 4:03 pm

My husband. Dose painting not working to much because cov19

14. Patrick kmetz on January 10th, 2021 3:19 pm

I’m homeless now thanks escambia county.

15. Tanmika on January 10th, 2021 10:12 am

I was APPOVED SENT AN EMAIL SAYING SENT TO CLERKS OFFICE NEVER DID I GET 3000 GRANT MONEY…

16. Tanmika on January 10th, 2021 10:10 am

I was appoved had them email me told me approve for 3000 and was sent to clerks office NEVER DIS I RECEIVED ANYTHING

17. Kobie Jenkins on January 10th, 2021 4:35 am

Help

18. Antoinette Robinson on January 10th, 2021 4:19 am

I called was told there would be someone contacting me about a form i filled out wrong but the portal didn’t allow me to correct. I was assured that I would have the opportunity to correct it. No one ever called or emailed me. I left ma message on their phone explaining myself to no avail. My escarosa case worker helped me correct my mistake and told me to call.

19. Tamikia Davis on January 10th, 2021 3:01 am

I approve for the check they send mines back now asking me for bills in my name how show bills in my name I’m homeless

20. Jenni Harrell on January 9th, 2021 11:22 pm

I’m in disabil due to health mine stayed pending for 2 months saying needing more info I contacted them by email and phone repeatedly, finally 12/3 I found out where they were Located so I went down there they told me that I was approved but that I didn’t have anything and they’re showing why I didn’t fall Texas they told me to write a statement showing that I didn’t file taxes which I did she said but it won’t matter because we actually run out of funding and they cut the last check yesterday so does that mean that I will get a check or who do I need to contact?

21. Destiny Dunnigan on January 9th, 2021 9:54 pm

I applied for the cares act I was pregnant and my father in law was diagnosed with COVID and me and my husband also had which put my husband out of work…my application still says under review I tried to call and email but I have yet too hear anything from any one I would just like to know if we were approved or not because having people sitting around waiting and thinking they are is not right. I filled my application out same day the application opened I wasn’t able to sign the w-9 that was the only thing. But I have yet too hear anything from anyone.

22. franklin english on January 9th, 2021 9:54 pm

Hello my name is franklin d english I checked the status of my application it said that it has been summited and I just want to know what’s taking sooo long because I’m a single man with bills to pay just checking on my application.

23. Savana on January 9th, 2021 8:49 pm

My portal has said funded and approved for 2 months now and still no money!!!!! As a single mother I was depending on that money!! Please help

24. Alaina Miller on January 9th, 2021 8:22 pm

I did mine back in September online and i emailed all the documents and it never moved past pending

25. Gail Hill on January 9th, 2021 8:14 pm

I was told that someone would call me iback in regards to my application status. Never heard back from anyone.

26. Cynthia on January 9th, 2021 8:08 pm

To Who It May Concern I Put In Nov 3 2020 And They Diniled Me Because She Say You Have To Be Sick To Get Help My Grandbaby Got Corona19 From Me And I Didn’t Have No Ideal I Was Sick But I Just Stay Away From Famlies Once I Found Out I Did 14 Days My Lights. Went Off And Am Still Trying To Get Help And My Name Cynthia Tyson It. Not Good Been Disappoinning I Thank Because It’s A Blessing Am Still Here But Lights Still Off

27. Trekeia Terrell on January 9th, 2021 8:07 pm

I need Help application was Cut off please help the ones who did not get a chance to sign up..

28. Deborah Benton on January 9th, 2021 8:02 pm

I would just like to say thank you to Commissioner Bergosh! So many times we focus on the negative of county leaders and not the positive. He saw an error in communication with families and said we must make this right for those people! This act of understanding and compassion shows he truly cares about the community he was was elected to represent. Thank you again Commissioner Bergosh for your commitment to this community and its members!

29. Victoria Teamer on January 9th, 2021 6:59 pm

I applied back in September 28, 2020. I received a complete and approve notice on my portal and that i was getting 3000 dollars grant. I never received it. It still shows the same information on my portal. I was one of the ones left out.

30. Vivian on January 9th, 2021 5:34 pm

On September 25 2020 I submitted my application and all necessary documents I received notification that my application & documents were submitted. I was told within 3-4 weeks I would hear something…..I’ve heard nothing from no one!!

31. Vivian on January 9th, 2021 5:28 pm

Application & all paperwork was completed & turned in on the 25th of September, was even told I would hear something within3-4 weeks….haven’t heard anything from anyone.

32. MELISSA A ANDREWS on January 9th, 2021 4:54 pm

Yeah I was approved and never received anything..The one time I was able to get in touch with anyone to try and help me I was told if I get it I get it if I don’t then I don’t, in those exact words. I’ve lost faith in ever receiving it at all. My application still says approved. I even tried to reach out to news outlets to see if someone could explain what was going on with no response. I’d like to think it will be made right but won’t get my hopes up.

33. Angela on January 9th, 2021 4:26 pm

I was told I was approved on Nov 5th, then application stated complete. I called several times and was told yes I was approved and wait on the payment. I had yet to hear anything so I began reaching out to those over the program. I left 5 or 6 messages, stated I would escalate the situation, now to cover themselves my application no longer says complete, it says “under review”. Well that’s a step back from complete so that they don’t have to provide the funds they promised. I feel as though that was very deceitful. However me being who I am, I had already took a screenshot back in November when the portal showed my application as saying “complete” and amount funded. I also have the emails from when I myself reached out and told I was approved.

34. Johnetta E Miles on January 9th, 2021 3:51 pm

Help

35. Gloria Broxson on January 9th, 2021 3:14 pm

I was told that I would be getting a check in the mail in November and I still have yet to receive it it would be nice to know one way or not if I’m getting it or not

36. Gwen Butler on January 9th, 2021 12:13 pm

I filled out the online form for assistance and it was marked “pending for more information”. I left messages and emailed and I was never contacted. I decided to go thru my application and found I had left a document out. I emailed it in and my status was changed to pending approval. I could see where my emailed document was attached. Last night I went through it again and the emailed document is no longer there.

This approval process doesn’t seem to be consistent or fair. My husband lost several Army Reserve days and we could really use this to catch up with bills.

37. Kizzy Burt on January 9th, 2021 12:03 pm

So what does it mean when it says under review??

38. Cynthia English on January 9th, 2021 12:00 pm

I was told I was eligible in September for asistant never heard anything else from them I would love to hear her either accepted or not thank you

39. Allan Pritchard on January 9th, 2021 10:55 am

In need of financial assistance…

40. Amy Lynn Cummings on January 9th, 2021 9:49 am

I received a message that my application was accepted and somebody would be getting in touch with me in 3 weeks. This was in December and I haven’t heard anything. I checked my status today and I’m denied. This is rediculous. My caseworker helped me fill it out and I know I had it in on time.