Fire Destroys Travel Trailer At Lake Stone Campground, Leaving Man Without A Home

January 4, 2020

A fire early Saturday morning at Lake Stone in Century left a man without a home.

Fire destroyed a 30-foot travel trailer in the Lake Stone Campground about 3:45 a.m. The camper was fully involved when firefighters arrived.

A man in his 80s was able to escape the fire with only the clothes on his back. He was not injured and refused transport to the hospital . The victim considered the travel trailer as his primary residence, and he is now being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Preliminary information indicated the fire was caused by a space heater.

The Century, McDavid and Walnut Hill stations of Escambia Fire Rescue, the Flomaton Fire Department, Jay Fire Department and Escambia County EMS also responded. photos, click to enlarge.


9 Responses to “Fire Destroys Travel Trailer At Lake Stone Campground, Leaving Man Without A Home”

  1. Dennis cole on January 6th, 2020 12:39 pm

    donations can be made at lake stone office . # 850 256-5555 thanks :

  2. Deana on January 5th, 2020 2:01 pm

    Does anyone know the man’s clothes size? I have some clothes from my dad that passed away that he can have.

  3. Read carefully on January 5th, 2020 8:33 am

    People who use their RVs as their permanent homes are called “full timers” in RV circles. Being a full timer is not unusual in the least.

    Campgrounds establish policies about length of stay.

    Full timers who establish themselves as near permanent residents in campgrounds that do not have (or do not enforce) length of stay policies are called “long term residents” of that campground.

  4. Charlotte R Bates on January 4th, 2020 9:21 pm

    From what I understand, as long as the trailer, or travel trailer is attach to the vehicle, it will be insured. This is what my insurance told me. I have USAA. I do have a travel trailer, but it needs lots of work, and it’s a fifth wheel. If anyone would be willing to fix it up for him, I would be willing to donate it.

  5. TB on January 4th, 2020 11:24 am

    William, could you find out the man’s sizes and where donations could be taken please?

  6. William Reynolds on January 4th, 2020 10:30 am

    >>>I did not know there were permanent residence at Lake Stone.

    The story does not say he was a permanent resident at Lake Stone. Just he lives in the travel trailer..which could move place to place.

  7. tg on January 4th, 2020 8:45 am

    If i had a travel trailer i no longer needed i would donate it to him at 80 i know its hard to recover. Hoping someone will step up this is a caring community.

  8. Bane Bines on January 4th, 2020 8:45 am

    Hopefully this mad had home insurance, like most of us do. Or vehicle insurance for the trailer.

  9. mic hall on January 4th, 2020 7:24 am

    I did not know there were permanent residence at Lake Stone. Their rules say you can only stay a limited time at the County run campground.

Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.