Free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Available

February 20, 2011

IRS-certified United Way volunteers are currently providing free tax preparation services through the end of tax season at four locations in Escambia County. The service is free for lower to moderate income residents.

Locations are:

  • Department of Children & Families, 8190 Pensacola Blvd., Pensacola.
    • Wednesdays and Fridays, Noon to 4 p.m.
  • Pensacola State College, Bldg. 96, 1000 College Blvd., Pensacola.
    • Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    • Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
    • Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Southeast Vocational Services, 2001 North E St., Pensacola.
    • By appointment only. Call Victor Latham at 595-1330, ext. 3286.
  • University of West Florida, Bldg. 22, 11000 University Parkway, Pensacola.
    • Fridays and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

To receive on-the-spot service, be sure to bring:

  • Proof of identification
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Form W-2s, 1098 and 1099 forms
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Bank account numbers for direct deposit or a valid mailing address
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social
  • Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)

To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. Each site can accommodated those with disabilities.

For more details, call (850) 595-5905 or visit


6 Responses to “Free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Available”

  1. escambiamom on February 21st, 2011 3:12 pm

    Cantonment Post Office has many of the usual forms and some instruction booklets.

  2. Horrific on February 21st, 2011 8:29 am

    Some people have a hard time or are too old to use the internet,
    I wish this had told them where the break is on how much THEY
    can MAKE to be able to get THIS free service. I use a CPA but
    some here don’t have that luxury. every penny counts.

    So many people are having money trouble right now, and some
    of them seem to have anger issues.
    GOD BLESS you ALL and I hope you find relief.

  3. William on February 21st, 2011 7:56 am

    I’ve always downloaded and used TaxAct from

    It does all of the federal forms FREE and allows you to e-file federal for FREE. You never need to pay them anything, unless you need to file a state return.

  4. RE on February 21st, 2011 7:27 am

    To Jack:
    Thank you for your tip.

  5. Jack on February 20th, 2011 5:12 pm has forms. Also a list of free file providers

  6. RE on February 20th, 2011 11:49 am

    Does anybody know where you can pick up hard copies of the 1040, 1040A booklets?
    If not, which website is best if you want to file your taxes yourself?

Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.