Teen Severely Burned In Lawn Mower Fire

July 9, 2010

A Flomaton teen was severely burned in a lawn mower fire Thursday.

The 15-year old was transported by ambulance to D.W. McMillan Hospital in Brewton after the noon accident. He was later transferred to the University of South Alabama Regional Burn Center.

Further details were not available.

The Flomaton Fire Department, Engine 519 from the Century Station of Escambia Fire Rescue, Escambia County EMS and the Flomaton Police Department responded to the call.

Submitted photo by Christine Stanton for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.


35 Responses to “Teen Severely Burned In Lawn Mower Fire”

  1. debbie on July 13th, 2010 7:37 am

    this is my nephew and i am praying that he recovers fast we love you ryan god bless you see ya soon

  2. David Huie Green on July 12th, 2010 1:00 am

    “Further details were not available.”

    We’d appreciate them when they are.

    David hoping he is recovering

  3. Cynthia Agee Fletcher on July 11th, 2010 9:51 pm

    I am Ryan’s dad’s cousin. Just wanted to let you know that my family, friends, and church are praying for you!

  4. nudo on July 11th, 2010 10:32 am

    I’ve read all the comments and there is no blame other than maybe the manufactor. Good luck Ryan.

  5. Cheated Tax Payer on July 11th, 2010 9:56 am

    Best wishes to you Ryan for a speedy recovery!

  6. Kelly(first cousin to ryan) on July 10th, 2010 11:54 pm

    First, I want to thank the ones that are concerned about Ryans recovery. If you know Ryan, you know that he loves to help out in anyway that he can. He happened to be helping his pa out that day by cutting grass. This was a freak accident and for those that dont know and comment on things before you find out the facts, the lawnmower had just gotten out of the shop the day before this accident. I really don’t think anything could have been done to prevent this from happening, that is why they are called accidents. Ryan is my first cousin and we love him dearly. He is a strong young man and will make it through this. Please dont use this site as a way of putting the blame on someone or something , please use it as a source to send prayers and concern to the family.

  7. ewms Student on July 10th, 2010 5:13 pm

    Prayers this boy and his family

  8. horrific on July 10th, 2010 11:40 am

    I don’t think anyone was trying to blame anyone for this accident, especially
    this young man.
    We would like to know what happened here so it doesn’t happen again
    to one of ours.

    God Bless and Keep him!

  9. CONCERNED PARENT on July 10th, 2010 1:20 am


  10. Angiā™„ on July 9th, 2010 10:01 pm

    What a tragic thing to happen, God Bless this boy and his family; Wishing you a speedy recovery…

  11. Samantha Bryant on July 9th, 2010 5:54 pm

    I babysit for Ryan’s family so i know him pretty well. He is a great person and I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon! We are praying for you, Ryan! I know you are strong! (:

  12. Jim on July 9th, 2010 4:19 pm

    Thoughts and prayers for the teen and family.

  13. interested reader on July 9th, 2010 3:36 pm

    Our prayers are with this family . Lean on God and He will comfort you all.

  14. brewtongirl1 on July 9th, 2010 3:26 pm


  15. T White on July 9th, 2010 2:55 pm

    My prayers goes out to this family. My 11 year old was mowing my grass on our riding mow yesterday and God knows I just didnt think something like this could happen.

  16. Thompson Family on July 9th, 2010 2:47 pm

    This is a close friend of our son’s. He is a very mature, respectful young man who is always thinking of others. Praying for God’s hands of strength, healing and comfort to surround him (and his family).

  17. Rose on July 9th, 2010 2:17 pm

    GODS!!!!!!!! blessing on you yall !!! your all in our Prayers .love you Ryan

  18. friend from school on July 9th, 2010 1:32 pm

    I hope everything truns out ok.n not jus 15 yr/old sons cut grass I a 16yr/old daughter cut grass w/ a zero turn.thank God he was not sittin on it when it blew up!my prayers go out to him n his family!and I hope he has a very speedy recovery!God bless him!

  19. JohnMolino on July 9th, 2010 11:59 am

    What horrible news. My best wishes and a speedy recovery.

  20. L. Stevens on July 9th, 2010 11:13 am

    holy cow! Prayers for quick and complete healing. That being said, don’t be defensive about folks wanting to know what caused this. It’s important when something like this happens because if it’s due to faulty manufacturing those of us who let our 15 y/old sons mow our grass on these things might want to investigate our mowers (not to mention this family would have a huge lawsuit against the manufacturer and perhaps a recall would be in order). If it’s due to operator error of some sort, that’s important info to know how to avoid as well. We have a Toro zero turn and this story and photo give me pause. The gas tank in directly under the seat and back of the legs. Good advice about preventative maintenance, I know we’ll be more careful in the future. God bless this young man!

  21. Esther Dortch on July 9th, 2010 10:12 am

    This is our grandson and he is a very kind and thoughtful person. He is especially considerate of older people in his life. This was an unfortunate accident and no one could have forseen it happening. Thank you for all of the prayers and wel wishes. Please don’t speculate on how it happened because it was no one’s fault. We love you R!!

  22. CW on July 9th, 2010 10:08 am

    It looks like a ‘zero turn’ mower that was designed with the engine under the seat, not a good idea. Just another reason why I prefer the traditional tractor style mowers, I like the engine in front where I can see it.

  23. S.L.B on July 9th, 2010 8:53 am

    My prayers for healing and strength to get through the days ahead go out to this young man and his family. Stay strong and the Lord will get ya’ll through this.

    Just a note to all that are reading this story and comments.
    When we were going through my husband’s riding mower this spring checking things out for grass cutting this summer, we found that the gas hose in the engine had dry rotted from sitting up over the harsh winter we had. It had cracks all in it which meant that if we hadn’t of replaced it, the same thing possibly could’ve happened to my husband also.

    Preventative maintenance can go a long way for one’s safety so please never assume things are good to go without checking it out.

  24. Doofus on July 9th, 2010 8:47 am

    These things have big gas tanks, and they do get hot. Not saying what happened, and not knowing what happened one can only guess.

    I hope and pray for the best for the young man, and like others have stated would really like to know what happened. Gas is scary and I’ve seen firsthand what one can… can do.

  25. none on July 9th, 2010 8:39 am

    wonder what happened???

  26. JUDY MASEK on July 9th, 2010 8:32 am

    geeze….yesterday, when i spilled gas while filling the riding lawn mower, i paused and thought, “i hope this thing doesnt ignite when i start up”….(i think ill wipe it off next time it happens)…maybe, someone, of expertise, could take this opportunity to provide some good safety tips to avoid these kinds of accidents….im wondering if there will be a fire investigation done, to see exactly why this happened….but, he couldnt be in a better place to recieve extensive burn care.. (use to work in a burn unit)…God blessings be with him.

  27. Stacey Calloway on July 9th, 2010 8:28 am

    Prayers are with you Ryan and also your family.

  28. Angela Dortch Rowell on July 9th, 2010 8:27 am

    This is my nephew and I know his family appreciates all the prayers being sent his way. We love you R! Get better soon!

  29. Angie on July 9th, 2010 8:08 am

    My husband and I was in the ER.. when he came in, our prayers goes out to this family..

  30. SW on July 9th, 2010 7:51 am


    Any number of things could start a fire on a lawnmower like this. A shorted battery cable, other wiring short, or gasoline leaking on a hot engine are but just a few possible causes.

  31. Freeman Family on July 9th, 2010 7:29 am

    Prayers to this young man and his family.

  32. horrific on July 9th, 2010 6:29 am

    I don’t understand how a lawn mower caught fire. Poor kid I hope he
    is going to be ok.

  33. D on July 9th, 2010 6:01 am


  34. huh on July 9th, 2010 1:13 am

    I saw this today, it was under a tree before you cross the bridge into florida from flomaton.

    Hope they are alright

  35. lil bit on July 9th, 2010 1:09 am

    Prayers to him and his family!

Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) NorthEscambia.com reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.