Complaints Of Unsafe Heat At Century Prison Trigger Surprise Lawmaker Inspection
August 1, 2026
On Friday, State Representative Michelle Salzman conducted an unannounced inspection of Century Correctional Institution following mounting complaints from family members regarding severe heat and poor living conditions inside the prison.
The surprise visit followed a wave of concern reaching both elected officials and local media.
Florida law allows members of the Florida Legislature to make unannounced visits to state prisons “at their pleasure”, meaning at any time.
“My office, along with other elected representatives, have received several reports from family members of incarcerated individuals with concerns related to heat, ventilation, access to water and ice as well as other concerns,” Salzman said.
Upon receiving the complaints, Salzman toured the facility with Warden Robert Flores, specifically targeting the Building H housing area and the solitary confinement wing. During the inspection, she spoke directly with inmates and staff, tested the cell water infrastructure, and evaluated the physical environment.
“I would estimate it to be in the mid-80s,” she said of the temperature inside Building H. “It was obviously not the 70s like your house.” Friday’s high temperature at a nearby calibrated weather station was 97.4 degrees.
“They’ve got fans everywhere. I entered several cells and shook hands with the inmates,” she said. “I literally turned on the water faucets, hot and cold, and flushed toilets. I saw the ice being made.”
“I wasn’t just in and out; I stayed there a long time,” she added. “I intentionally wore jeans, and didn’t dress cool. I didn’t see a reason for alarm, and I talked to guards and a visitor.”
“Based on my observations and conversations, I found that the housing areas were ventilated, running water was available in each cell, and inmates had access to both drinking water and ice,” Salzman reported, adding that she felt confident the warden and prison leadership had implemented appropriate heat-mitigation measures. However, she emphasized that oversight remains an ongoing responsibility. “If conditions change or credible evidence arises that inmates are being denied access to water, ice, ventilation, or necessary medical care, I would expect those concerns to be investigated immediately.”
Identical Complaints Sent to NorthEscambia.com
The lawmaker’s office was not the only entity receiving urgent alerts. NorthEscambia.com received near-identical complaints from a family member of an inmate, identifying herself as Kelli Cooper.
In an initial email sent to NorthEscambia.com two days prior to the representative’s visit, Cooper detailed grueling firsthand accounts allegedly sent by men housed in H Dorm. The messages described “extreme heat, little to no ventilation, no meaningful airflow, and inadequate heat-mitigation measures,” alleging that the exhaust systems were non-functional.
The correspondence claimed inmates were continuously drenched in sweat, causing severe skin irritation, rashes, exhaustion, and an inability to sleep. The email even alleged that an officer told the inmates the ventilation had been intentionally turned off because it was tied to the building’s heating system. Most alarming were reports of serious heat-related medical emergencies, including a claim that a helicopter had previously landed at the facility to transport a distressed inmate.
Cooper provided screenshots of messages she purported to have received from a family member that is an inmate in H Dorm. NorthEscambia.com was unable to independently verify the validity of the messages. It was not known if the inmate used a contraband cell phone, or a tablet to send the messages, but one of the messages did make reference to a tablet. The Florida Department of Corrections allows inmates access to tablets that allow monitored outside communications.
The messages that accompany this story have been redacted to remove vulgarities and specific inmate cell locations. To read all of the messages, click here.
Concerns of Temporary Fixes Raised After Visit
Following Representative Salzman’s unannounced visit and subsequent statement, Cooper responded to a NorthEscambia.com inquiry again on Friday evening, expressing deep skepticism about the state of the facility during the inspection.
While expressing gratitude that the lawmaker took action, Cooper raised concerns that the facility may have anticipated the scrutiny.
“We genuinely believe that because of the amount of attention this situation has received, the facility knew—or strongly suspected—that someone would be showing up soon and took steps to temporarily change or cover up the conditions being reported,” Cooper wrote.
Family members are continuing to call for fully independent, private interviews with the incarcerated individuals without prison staff present, fearing potential retaliation against inmates who speak out about the summer conditions.
Photos for NorthEscambia.com, and screenshots for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlage.
Dirt Portion Of North Barth Road To Close Monday
August 1, 2026
The dirt portion of North Barth Road, on the east side of the railroad tracks, will be closed on Monday.
Escambia County Public works will be replacing a drainage pipe that crosses under the roadway. The closure is expected to last for a few days.
File photo.
Two 17-Year-Olds Hospitalized In Critical Condition After Friday Crash
August 1, 2026
Two 17-year-old girls are in critical condition following a three-vehicle collision Friday afternoon in Escambia County.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the crash occurred just after 4 p.m. at the intersection of U.S. Highway 90 and Cove Avenue.
State troopers reported that a sport utility vehicle driven by a 17-year-old Pensacola girl attempted to cross the eastbound lanes of U.S. Highway 90 from Cove Avenue. The SUV collided with the left side of a westbound pickup truck driven by a 49-year-old Pensacola man, propelling his truck off the right side of the roadway.
Immediately following the initial impact, a second westbound pickup truck, driven by a 54-year-old Pensacola man traveling directly behind the first truck, struck the passenger side of the SUV. The force of the second collision sent the SUV back across the eastbound lanes before it ran off the roadway.
The teenage driver and her 17-year-old female passenger, also from Pensacola, sustained critical injuries and were transported by Escambia County EMS to Sacred Heart Hospital. Both girls were wearing seatbelts.
The driver of the first pickup truck suffered minor injuries, while the driver of the second pickup truck was unhurt. The crash remains under investigation by the Florida Highway Patrol.
File photo.
240 Pounds Of Little Tabs, Big Impact: Molino Park Elementary Helps Families At Ronald McDonald House
August 1, 2026
Last school year, the students, faculty, and families at Molino Park Elementary School collected 240 pounds of pop tabs—those little pull tabs off the tops of aluminum drink cans—to benefit the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Northwest Florida.
The charity recycles the aluminum tabs, with the proceeds contributing to their mission of keeping families close to their children receiving medical treatment. The local Ronald McDonalds House serves nearly 1,100 families per year.
Just how many pop tabs is that? With an estimated 1,267 tabs per pound, Molino Park’s donation is estimated at over 300,000 pop tabs.
“Although the whole aluminum can is valuable, the tab is cleaner and smaller, making it easier to collect in large quantities than whole cans. The tab of a standard soda can is made of high quality, high-grade aluminum. By itself, it doesn’t mean much, but when you pull together, pop-tabs add up and become a valuable donation,” RMHC said.
Photo for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.
Two Riders Seriously Injured When Their Motorcycles Collide on I-110
August 1, 2026
Two motorcyclists were seriously injured Thursday night after colliding with each other on I-110.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the crash occurred at approximately 9:32 p.m. in the northbound lanes near Brent Lane.
Witnesses told troopers that both motorcycles were traveling in the inside lane when they collided. The impact threw both riders from their bikes into the roadway.
Following the collision, one motorcycle veered to the right and struck the guardrail on the Brent Lane exit ramp. The second motorcycle continued moving north before coming to a stop in the inside emergency lane on top of the overpass.
The riders, a 27-year-old Pensacola man and a 47-year-old Pensacola man, were both wearing helmets. Both individuals were trauma-alerted to a local hospital with serious injuries.
File photo.
Compton Continues To Crush It In Wahoos Win Over Smokies
August 1, 2026
The Pensacola Blue Wahoos took Friday’s contest 5-4 over the Knoxville Smokies.
The game started like any other game for the Blue Wahoos: with a home run from Brandon Compton. After both teams went scoreless in the first inning, the red hot Compton sent the first pitch he saw well over the wall in right field. The solo bomb was his 13th blast of the year with Pensacola and his 12th blast of the month. Those 12 big flies tied him for second all-time for Southern League homers in a month. The man he tied? An old Tennessee Smokie that goes by the name of Kris Bryant.
The lead didn’t last, as the Smokies got to Christian MacLeod, who made his first start for the Wahoos on Friday night, in the third inning. Carter Trice knocked an RBI single into center field to tie things up at 1-1. A couple innings later, Jay Beshears hit a two-run bomb out to left to give Pensacola a 3-1 lead, but the Smokies answered with two of their own in the bottom half when Alex Ramirez took Livan Reinoso (W, 1-0) deep for a two-run shot.
Knoxville starter, Luis Martinez-Gomez, ended up pitching 6.0 innings of three-run ball and was relieved by Kenyi Perez (L, 1-1) in the seventh. With one out recorded, Jay Beshears took a hit-by-pitch and Emaarion Boyd dropped down a beautiful bunt for a single. A double steal followed and allowed Brendan Jones to bring Beshears home on a sacrifice fly to center. One batter later, Cristian Hernández singled into left, scoring Boyd and giving the Wahoos a 5-3 lead.
The bottom of the seventh saw the Smokies steal a run back thanks to an Ariel Armas RBI double. But, with men on second and third, Jack Sellinger would get Jefferson Rojas to strikeout swinging, stranding the tying and go-ahead runs and keeping Pensacola in front 5-4.
Sellinger would go on to pitch the 8th and retire the first batter in the 9th before giving up a single and being pulled for Holt Jones (S, 3). Jones allowed a couple of 2-out walks, but still managed to lock down his 3rd save of the season and a 5-4 Wahoos win. The save tied him for the team lead with Colby Martin. Pensacola improved their record to 54-45 (a season high 9 games over .500) overall, and 18-12 in the second half while the Smokies fell to 53-47 overall and 15-16 in the second half.
The Blue Wahoos continue their series against the Smokies on Saturday.
written by Charlie Hobert
UPDATE: Boil Water Notice Lifted For West Roberts, Stefani, Stallion Roads And Nearby Areas
July 31, 2026
UPDATE: This boil water notice was lifted on Sunday, August 2.
A boil water notice is in effect for residents in the area that includes portions of the area around West Roberts Road, Stallion Road, and Stefani Road.
Specially, the boil water notice includes:
- West Roberts Road from Highway 29 to Stallion Road
- Stefani Road
- South of West Roberts Road to Cool Creek Road, including the following areas:
- Jeter Road
- Pinedale Lane
- Broome Circle
- Urban Drive
- Tuttle Lane
The boil water notice follows an water outage due to broken 6 x 12-inch T-shaped pipe fitting on West Roberts Road. The fitting has been repaired and water service has been restored.
Residents located in the specified PBWN area are advised to boil water for one minute at a rolling boil or to use 8 drops of regular unscented household bleach per gallon of water (let sit for 30 minutes), for water to be used for drinking or cooking purposes. Bacteriological sampling has been initiated, and the advisory will be lifted as soon as possible. This process routinely takes 48 hours.
ECUA crews completed the repair work and have flushed out the lines. Residents within the PBWN area and nearby are advised that there is a possibility of discolored water as a result of the utility work, and to flush their home’s plumbing by running their taps for a few minutes. If problems persist, customers are asked to contact ECUA Customer Service at 850-476-0480 for assistance.
This story will be updated when the boil water notice is lifted.
Beulah Man Pleads To 10 Charges Of Possession Of Child Sexaul Abuse Materials
July 31, 2026
A Beulah man has pleaded no contest under a plea agreement to multiple counts of possession of child sexual abuse materials brought by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in July 2024.
Charles “Billy” Danielson, now 52, was originally charged with 20 counts of possession of child sexual abuse materials and one count of using a two-way communication device to facilitate a felony.
According to court records, Danielson pleaded straight up to 10 counts of possession of child sexual abuse materials, while 10 counts will be dropped, along with the two-way communications device charge.
When he is sentenced in October, he faces a maximum of 127.5 months (10.625 years) in state prison with no limit on the probation period to be imposed. He had faced a maximum sentence of 305 years. He will be designated as a sexual offender for life.
FDLE said the investigation began in February 2024 after agents received a tip from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children about a Snapchat user uploading images of child pornography.
On July 10, 2024, agents served a search warrant at Danielson’s residence and seized multiple electronic devices for examination. Agents said they found numerous images and videos depicting the sexual abuse of male and female children, some as young as infants and toddlers.
Century Residents Map Out Walkability, Next Steps for AARP Grant Project
July 31, 2026
That was the focus of a meeting Thursday evening at town hall, part of a project funded by a $2,500 grant through the nationwide AARP Community Challenge program to study community walkability.
A small group of residents, several of whom walk around Century on a semi-regular basis, met to share their experiences.
“I walk at Hurricane Park in Flomaton; it’s not safe to walk in Century,” one resident said, referring to traffic, not crime.
“I think most people in Century are walking to get somewhere,” another resident said, mentioning that many people walk to one of several stores in town out of necessity.
The group identified several areas in Century that frequently have walkers — including North Century Boulevard, Jefferson Avenue, and East Hecker Road. The areas were plotted on large maps for future consideration.
Mayor Ben Boutwell, speaking by phone, said the town faces limitations on North Century Boulevard since it is a state highway. He mentioned walkable areas including Showalter Park, Anthony Pleasant Park, and the trail that connects the recreation areas.
“There’s not a lot of recreational walkers around here,” Boutwell acknowledged.
Up next, the AARP grant project will include volunteer training and walk audits — a group of people walking a route and taking notes about walking conditions, signals, traffic, and even the availability of shade or seating. The results will eventually go to the town council by December.
The initiative aims to identify barriers to mobility and highlight opportunities for future infrastructure improvements to enhance the quality of life for residents, particularly those aged 55 and older. The grant will not fund any improvements; those will be up to the town council at a later date.
Moving forward, the group plans a training meeting at 6 p.m. on Thursday, September 10 at Century Town Hall.
Pictured top: Century Town Council member Sparkie Harrison (left) marks a typical walking route on an oversized map of Century. Pictured below: Some of the areas that were marked during a Thursday evening meeting. (Self-adhesive “Sign Here” indexing flags were being used to mark the map; they do not represent literal sign placements.) NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.
Two Arrested After Child’s Stolen Dirt Bike Found Stripped In Area Residence
July 31, 2026
Two men face felony charges after the Atmore Police Department recovered a child’s stolen dirt bike that was in the process of being stripped down and repainted.
The investigation began Tuesday when officers received a report of the stolen dirt bike from the Canoe community. By Thursday, investigators reported that they located the bike inside a room at the Canoe residence of Daren Knighten.
Knighten was arrested without incident and transported to the Escambia County Detention Center. He is charged with first-degree receiving stolen property, two counts of possession of a controlled substance, and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia.
Austin Buckhault was also arrested in connection with the theft. He faces charges of first-degree receiving stolen property, possession of a controlled substance, and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia.
Pictured inset and below: Knighten and Buckhault. Pictured top: Knighten.















