Photos: A Rainy Day At The Pipes

February 11, 2018

Pictured is the view looking from The Pipes back toward Old Bridge Road near Cantonment on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

The Pipes is a Northwest Florida Water Management District day-use area that offers a picnic table, pedestal grill, portable toilet, and canoe/kayak launch on the Perdido River. The public area does not allow ATV’s or alcoholic beverage use.

Photo by Jared Sigler for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Comments

7 Responses to “Photos: A Rainy Day At The Pipes”

1. NE Smith on February 14th, 2018 1:24 am

Thanks all for the replies.
    They all sound legit but it is still a mystery.
    A lot of history forgotten and buried in the woods on the North end of the county.

2. 429SCJ on February 13th, 2018 5:43 am

it is my understanding that at one time there was a water pumping station there, for the paper mill.

The well was decommissioned at some point and pumping resumed on Well Line Road.

3. Haha on February 12th, 2018 1:34 pm

We all float down here…

4. William on February 11th, 2018 9:05 pm

>>>This is anecdotal, so please William correct me if I’m wrong, but I have been told there was an old railroad bridge there

I have no idea. :)

5. Micah on February 11th, 2018 6:50 pm

This is anecdotal, so please William correct me if I’m wrong, but I have been told there was an old railroad bridge there, and before it was entirely deconstructed there were still hollow bridge supports present in the river or general area. Thus, The Pipes.

6. April G on February 11th, 2018 6:47 pm

I haven’t been there since I was a kid, but there used to be big pipes sticking up out of the Perdido River water. That was why it was called “The Pipes”.

7. NE Smith on February 11th, 2018 10:21 am

Why is this area called the Pipes?