Feds Drop Possible Drilling Off Florida Coast

January 10, 2018

Florida waters were removed Tuesday from White House plans to open previously protected parts of the Atlantic Ocean and eastern Gulf of Mexico to offshore oil and gas drilling.

The move was hailed by Gov. Rick Scott, while drawing questions about whether the quick decision and manner of announcement by the Trump administration were done to further Scott’s political career.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, making a brief appearance Tuesday night at Tallahassee International Airport, credited Gov. Rick Scott, who was by his side, for the decision to remove Florida from the drilling proposal announced Thursday.

“The great state of Florida has expressed and the governor has expressed his desire not to drill and not to have production platforms off the coast,” Zinke said when asked why Florida waters were removed from the pending review while waters off neighboring states remain eligible. “We think we have the assets in this country onshore and offshore and the rest of the Gulf to meet the president’s desire for energy dominance.”

Zinke who flew into Tallahassee to talk with Scott, addressed the media for about seven minutes and then departed. The meeting was added late Tuesday to Scott’s schedule.

Scott last week issued a statement that opposed opening Florida waters beyond the nation’s outer continental shelf — a jurisdictional term describing submerged lands 10.36 statutory miles off Florida’s west coast and 3 nautical miles off the east coast — prior to the White House policy being released.

The initial proposal was widely condemned by Florida politicians from both parties. On Tuesday, U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson — a Democrat expected to be challenged for his seat later this year by Scott — was quick to call Zinke’s action a “political stunt.”

“I have spent my entire life fighting to keep oil rigs away from our coasts,” Nelson said in a statement. “But now, suddenly, Secretary Zinke announces plans to drill off Florida’s coast and four days later agrees to ‘take Florida off the table?’ I don’t believe it. This is a political stunt orchestrated by the Trump administration to help Rick Scott, who has wanted to drill off Florida’s coast his entire career. We shouldn’t be playing politics with the future of Florida.”

Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman David Bergstein made a similar comment, noting that Scott in 2010 had disagreed with then-President Barack Obama’s decision not to pursue eastern Gulf drilling. Bergstein alleged Scott and President Donald Trump, a political ally, manufactured “a crisis to try and help his (Scott’s) political ambitions.”

Zinke said the administration strategy was to open everything, then meet with local stakeholders and governors, and to balance those views against plans for energy independence.

“We are on a course to be the largest oil and gas producer in the world,” Zinke said. “We are going to be a net liquid natural-gas producer. And I can tell you from a former (Navy) Seal, I don’t want your kids ever to fight on foreign shores for a resource that we have here. But there are places where resources are sensitive, and there are places where we are not going to go forward with resources. One of them is off the coast of Florida.”

In 2017, Trump signed an executive order asking Zinke to consider opening the Atlantic Ocean and the Arctic to drilling.

Scott issued a statement Tuesday night thanking Zinke for coming to Tallahassee to hear his concerns about drilling.

“By removing Florida from consideration, we can now focus on how we can further protect our environment, including our proposal for record funding for the Everglades, our springs, our beaches and our state parks,” Scott said. “I will never stop fighting for Florida’s environment and our pristine coastline.”

by Jim Turner, The News Service of Florida

Comments

8 Responses to “Feds Drop Possible Drilling Off Florida Coast”

  1. Johnny Freedom on January 12th, 2018 8:02 am

    Ol’ Donny just couldn’t stand the idea of an oil rig ruining the view at Mar-A-Lago.

    I mean, if he’s going to spend 3 months of the year there, he might as well enjoy it.

  2. Bob's Brother on January 11th, 2018 6:54 pm

    @ Becky with respect. The beaches in South Louisiana, except for Grand Isle, are mostly (and have been for hundreds of years), marshland. They’ve never had the kind of beaches found at Ship Island in MS, to the barrier islands of Alabama at Dauphin Island and on over toward Gulf Shores and all the way to the Big Bend area. Oil has nothing to do with how the “beaches” are or were in Louisiana. You can argue that pipelines may have taken a toll on coastal erosion, but the beaches there have always been on the “muddy” side. In fact, before Pass Christian, Gulfport, and Biloxi hauled in millions of yards of white sand, their beaches were that same muddy sand. It was quite a project…. and I’ve wondered more than once how much it cost!

  3. Grand Locust on January 11th, 2018 10:09 am

    So the federal government acknowledges there is a risk to beaches, yet Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, California, Oregon and Washington are the red haired step children who have to ride in the trunk of the car when going to the beach, while Florida is in a child seat eating ice cream and having sun screen applied by President Trump. Of course an oil rig offshore from the President’s Florida club would be unsightly and has absolutely nothing to do with this decision.

  4. Mark Singleton on January 10th, 2018 9:58 pm

    Thanks President Donald Trump!! Rick Scott got the memo and soon put out the word, No drilling anywhere in the waters around Florida!

  5. Molino Mom on January 10th, 2018 7:52 pm

    This problem came up when there was a president Bush(son) and a governor Bush. They were at odds over this. Our beaches and citrus industry are a gold mine for Florida. This last hurricane is taking care of the citrus and now the federal government wants to take away the beach.

  6. Charlie Mike on January 10th, 2018 6:03 pm

    They probably never intended to drill here. Fake news to boost Scott’s chances against Senator Nelson. I’m sure the suckers will buy it.

  7. Becky on January 10th, 2018 4:17 pm

    I am so happy to hear this good news. We have some of the prettiest beaches in the world. Believe it or not, Louisiana’s beaches used to be as pretty as ours. The oil put an end to that.

  8. anne 1of2 on January 10th, 2018 11:39 am

    Scott has his own agenda, always has, no one takesa job for free unless they have a plan to make money elsewhere.





Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) NorthEscambia.com reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.