Century Man Sentenced To Life Without Parole For Shooting Two People

May 18, 2017

A Century man will spend the rest of his life in prison after opening fire on two people inside a vehicle in Century during October 2015.

Akino Jama Jackson was found guilty of attempted first degree murder, attempted second degree murder and shooting into an occupied vehicle. Circuit Judge Scott Duncan sentenced Jackson to life in prison. As a prison releasee reoffender, he will not be eligible for  parole and will actually spend his entire life in prison.

On October 7, 2015, Jackson armed himself with a firearm and fired eight times into a Dodge Charger, shooting Roosevelt Dixon in the back four times causing serious injuries. Dixon’s girlfriend, Amanda Conner, was in the front passenger seat at the time the shots were fired. She suffered injuries from broken glass but did not seek medical treatment.

Conner told investigators that she and Dixon were at his mother’s residence on Ivey Street in Century, and they had noticed a car in the area that Dixon was concerned about.

She said they left the mother’s trailer, eventually turning onto Old Flomaton Road. She said they traveled a short distance when she heard a loud noise followed by a another loud noise during which glass shattered. Dixon told Conner that he had been shot. At this point, they turned the car around, still not seeing the vehicle from which the shots were fired, and headed back to Ivey Street where Dixon got out of the Dodge Charger.

Conner then  headed toward the Century Sheriff’s Precinct on Highway 29 in the Charger, stopping along the way at the Century Whataburger where she observed a deputy on a traffic stop.

Conner had received threatening text messages from Jackson in the days leading up to  the shooting. Roosevelt Dixon was able to identify Jackson as the shooter.

Pictured top: The scene at Whataburger in Century on October 7, 2015. Pictured below: Numbers and trajectory rods show bullet holes in a Dodge Charger that was occupied by two people. NorthEscambia.com file photos, click to enlarge.

Comments

2 Responses to “Century Man Sentenced To Life Without Parole For Shooting Two People”

  1. just sayin on May 18th, 2017 11:51 am

    karma is hell this young man given to many chances to get it right i feel sorry for his mother but it could have been the death sentence

  2. mick on May 18th, 2017 8:25 am

    A more kinder, tolerant society has reserved a posh 6×8 foot suite to accommodate you along with 3 meals a day and all of the other everyday necessities that decent people have to work for – the same decent people that will be paying for the rest of your miserable life – In days of past you may have received a shallow grave.





Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) NorthEscambia.com reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.