Three Dead Due To Improperly Used Propane Heater

December 11, 2014

Three people are dead due apparently due to an improperly used propane heater at a Pensacola home Thursday morning.

Police were dispatched to 1217 North Sixth Avenue shortly after 6 a.m. after 29-year Jimmy Sunday was awakened by fumes inside the house and called for help.

A propane tank with a portable heater affixed to the top (similar to the pictured example) was being used inside to heat the  house, said Pensacola Police Department Sgt. Kevin Christman.

The victims were identified as 52-year old Bridget Sunday; her boyfriend, 54-year Clarence Nettles; and her grandson, four-year old Tony D. Taylor, Jr.

Jaylen Sunday, age nine, was also inside the house and transported to Sacred Heart Hospital where he remained in critical condition.  Bridget Sunday was was the mother of Jaylen Sunday and Jimmie Sunday.

“We are saddened to report this tragedy and even more saddened that families would suffer this unthinkable tragedy 14 days before Christmas,” said Chief Chip W. Simmons. “Any deaths are tragic, but especially those that could be avoided.”

Autopsies have been done but the reports are not yet available and could take several  weeks or more to complete. Christman also said the autopsies did not indicate any signs
of foul play.

Comments

16 Responses to “Three Dead Due To Improperly Used Propane Heater”

  1. Virginia on December 19th, 2014 3:04 pm

    Mr. and Mrs. Sunday, I’m so sorry for your lost!! Ms. Bridgette will be missed dearly by us all. I will always remember her smile.

  2. Arlen Mininger on December 13th, 2014 9:52 pm

    Fire alarms! Smoke detectors! Carbon monoxide detectors! Please folks if you can’t afford them go to your local fire department or health department and see if they can help.

  3. Natasha Poole on December 12th, 2014 4:52 pm

    Jimmie, I’m so sorry for your lost. You and your family are in my prayers.

  4. Sad on December 12th, 2014 11:08 am

    Prayers for the family & loved ones…Such a tragedy. Be careful heating your homes.

  5. William25 on December 12th, 2014 9:30 am

    My sympathy go out to the family involved in this tragedy. I hope that some good can come out of this as a lesson to others that it is a must to have CO detectors in your home if you are using gas (propane or natural). A quick Google search shows them available for as low as $14.

  6. Kim Blackman on December 12th, 2014 7:45 am

    Once time the weather turned very cold while we were having work done on our central heating unit that took longer that expected. I was so afraid to use space heaters, even the kind approved to be used inside. Some things that helped us was nailing comforters over the windows on the north side of the house. Sleeping in a room on the south side, even if we had to turn the dinning room into a temporary bedroom. Electric blankets, which even help warm a room if the doors are closed. Keep all the interior doors closed. Footed PJ’s for all the kids. Prayers for this family and safety for all others dealing with the cold weather.

  7. Me on December 12th, 2014 4:56 am

    Prayers for the family.

  8. Betty Kline-Porz on December 12th, 2014 12:22 am

    My prayers to these families ..may our God comfort your hearts…having lost a great nephew to fire was such a loss to all of us…even though you wish there were a way to turn it all around you can’t….so you pray for God to strengthen you. He will…. everyday.

  9. Kimberly on December 11th, 2014 7:41 pm

    Prayers to the family and the little girl that survived,

  10. Tammy on December 11th, 2014 5:57 pm

    I hardly use my heater, a 20 dollar electric blanket is heaven and you save a lot of money on your bill. The only drawback is it makes it very hard to get up for work when the house is cold and the bed is warm and toasty.

  11. Bobby HD on December 11th, 2014 4:54 pm

    Praying for family an loved ones.

  12. Sidney Sharp on December 11th, 2014 3:02 pm

    So very sorry for the family. How sad.

  13. No Excuses on December 11th, 2014 2:57 pm

    This is a real tragedy, and such a nice family too! I work with one of the family members. Prayers for all concerned.

  14. Chrissygatorfan on December 11th, 2014 1:41 pm

    How very sad, all they were doing was trying to stay warm…….. RIP.. prayers for the other child and the family………

  15. Rebecca Boutwell on December 11th, 2014 12:53 pm

    Most ppl don’t have the luxury of central heat, I go to sleep every night praying my space heaters won’t catch fire in the middle of the night with me & my two kids sleeping. I pray for this family, all they were trying to do was keep warm, so sad.

  16. dman on December 11th, 2014 12:32 pm

    What a terrible tragedy, right before the holidays to boot. Folks please be mindful when you are heating your home, whether it be a propane, natural gas, or fireplace.

    Prayers going up for the family.





Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) NorthEscambia.com reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.