Retired Navy Captain From Molino Honored As ‘Hero Among Us’

May 31, 2014

A Molino man known for his F -14 Tomcat fighter expertise was honored Friday evening as a Hero Among Us.

Dan “Darth” Cain served as a U.S. Marine in Vietnam. Then he went to the University of West Florida, graduated with a degree in marine biology, and became a pilot in the U.S. Navy, where he logged 6,700 hours in various military fighter aircraft, including 4,200 in F-14 Tomcats.

Cain retired from the Navy as a captain in 2004 after 36 years of military service. Cain has been awarded the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with three Gold Stars, and many other honors for his service.

Cain was honored as part of the Heroes Among Us series at the Veterans Memorial Park near Bayfront Parkway and Ninth Avenue in downtown Pensacola.

The series, now in its second year, features veterans of every service and is held on the last Friday of each month from May through October. It is presented by the local Marine Corps League, J. R. Spears Detachment 066. Admission is free, although donations are accepted for the Marines in Distress Fund to help veterans in need.

The “Heroes Among Us” series features people who have compelling tales to tell about military experience and life.

Comments

11 Responses to “Retired Navy Captain From Molino Honored As ‘Hero Among Us’”

1. Chris Vaeazo//Hip Pocket Deli on September 17th, 2016 1:38 pm

We have gone from the deli but you are still on our mind, thank you for your wonderful life and we love you as always & we miss, you. Chris and Mom

2. bigbill1961 on May 31st, 2014 10:25 pm

As a Navy veteran myself, I salute you sir. Thank you for your distinguished service.

3. Lynn on May 31st, 2014 4:13 pm

Sir, I would like to say “Thank You” for my freedom. My father was my hero and was in the Korean and Vietnam conflict. He was an EOD specialist. I will always remember him coming home and the nights I would wake up to him having nightmares. So I know even today you are still paying for my freedom. From the bottom of my heart “Thank You”.

4. Linda Statham on May 31st, 2014 2:41 pm

Thank you Captain Cain for your distinguished service to our country. We appreciate your dedication AND LOYALTY in making this country free and proud to be called AMERICA!! May we continue in that heritage for many, many years to come.

5. Molino resident on May 31st, 2014 9:49 am

Congratulations on a job well done. Thank you for your service to our Country.

6. green rocket on May 31st, 2014 8:44 am

Congratulations Captain. I worked on Tomcats in VF-14 and VF-101. To me, it was the greatest fighter the Navy ever had. Thank you for your service. I retired in 1990.

7. 429SCJ on May 31st, 2014 8:11 am

An exceptional and illustrious career.

If I recall correctly congressional waiver is required for active military service beyond thirty years. A highly qualified and capable individual.

8. :) on May 31st, 2014 7:04 am

Mr. Cain,
    Congratulations and Thank You for 36 years of service to our great country!

9. Sam on May 31st, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks for your long service. From a Marine to a squid? Really? Lol

10. Ed on May 31st, 2014 5:37 am

And then became a top notch cattleman. Thank you for your service Dan.

11. AL on May 31st, 2014 1:26 am

Awesome! Thank you for your service and sacrifice