Resurfacing To Begin On Chumuckla Highway

November 30, 2010

Santa Rosa County has begun construction of a 12.5 mile widening and resurfacing project on Chumuckla Highway, also known as County Road 197, between the Chumuckla crossroads and State Road 89 near Jay. No road closures are anticipated but some delays should be expected. The project is expected to be completed by mid-December unless there are significant weather delays.

Currently the road is being widened, followed by the placement of asphalt leveling courses with a motor grader to fill depressions and wheel ruts. For safety purposes, a temporary centerline stripe is painted as needed each day. Motorists may mistake one of the leveling courses as the final pavement surface, according to Santa Rosa County. However, the roadway leveling is an intermediate phase of the project and the final pavement surface will be placed by a paving machine, resulting in a much smoother surface.

The project cost is expected to be $2.7 million with 75 percent funded by the Florida Department of Transportation through a Small County Outreach Program grant. The county will be responsible for the remaining 25 percent, much of which will be met with in-kind services such as labor, equipment and materials for drainage and shoulder work performed by the Santa Rosa County Road and Bridge Department.

Comments





Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) NorthEscambia.com reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.