First Degree Murder Warrant Issued For 16-Year-Old In Deadly Park Shooting In Century

August 21, 2026

An arrest warrant has been issued for a suspect in the August 13 double shooting that left one man dead and another wounded on Thursday evening at a Century park.

Escambia County Sheriff Chip Simmons said Friday that 16-year-old Keyunta Ewing has an active warrant for first-degree murder for firing the fatal shots at Showalter Park. Ewing is known to locals as “Baby K”, and is known to frequent both Flomaton and Century.

Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is asked to call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (850) 433-STOP.

“Seven or eight people had gathered around for a fist fight, and after that fight someone left from the crowd and they pulled a gun and just fired several times into our victim, ultimately killing him and injuring another,” Simmons said.

Adarius Da’Shun Odom, known to locals as “Daily” was pronounced deceased at the scene, and Da’Quan “Money” Johnson was the victim shot in the leg, according to family members. Both were members of the 2018 state championship Flomaton High School Hurricanes football team and are now in their 20s.

Park Fight

The incident occurred about 6:30 p.m. at Showalter Park, off Hecker Road. The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office received a shots-fired call and arrived to find an adult male with gunshot wounds in a parking area between a ball field and a children’s playground. The victim was pronounced deceased at the scene. A second adult male victim later arrived at Jay Hospital, suffering from a through-and-through gunshot wound to the leg that was not believed to be life-threatening, according to Sgt. Melony Peterson.

For more photos, click here.

Gathered To Fight

Simmons said a group of seven to eight people, some from Alabama and some from Florida, had gathered at Showalter Park to reportedly fight over a girl. He described a scene where two people were fighting, and more people were gathered around watching.

Shooting Near Another Park And Youth Practices

There were no organized activities at Showalter Park at the time, but youth football and cheerleading practices were underway a short distance away at neighboring Anthony Pleasant Park, where many people reported hearing multiple gunshots. Practices were halted, and people left Anthony Pleasant Park out of an abundance of caution, according to Century Blackcats Youth Football and Cheerleading. There is a small wooded area between the two parks, which are connected by a trail and footbridge.

“It’s certainly tragic that an individual would be killed, and it’s certainly concerning the individual that is involved felt the need to take this type of action and not have any concern about the safety of the other individual that was shot in the leg or anyone that might be nearby. We as a community should say that’s unacceptable,” Simmons stated.

Retaliatory Shooting

A second shots-fired incident occurred around 8 p.m. on Mayo Street, just a few blocks from the park. Numerous bullet holes were found in a home.

“We believe that the individual that did the shooting has a connection to that house and we feel like it was retaliatory,” Simmons said last week. “We believe that people know who did it. People know who the shooter is, who the killer is, and we want them to tell us instead of taking matters into their own hands.”

Funeral Services

Funeral services for Odom will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Flomaton High School Auditorium, following a 10 a.m. visitation. Family is requesting flowers be sent to Jackson-McMurray Funeral Services at 130 West Hecker Road in Century.

NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Comments





Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) NorthEscambia.com reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business, political candidate or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.