Firefighters Respond To Cotton Trash Fire At Gin Company

January 17, 2019

Fire departments from across the area responded to the West Florida Gin on Meadows Road in Davisville about 10:40 Thursday morning.

A fire was smoldering in cotton “trash”, a by-product of the cleaning and ginning process. The fires happen usually happen each year, and sometimes take several hours to extinguish.

There was no immediate reports to damage to the structures in the facility and no injuries reported.

The Walnut Hill, McDavid and Century stations of Escambia Fire Rescue, the Atmore Fire Department and the Nokomis (AL) Volunteer Fire Department were among those dispatched to the cotton gin. file photos, click to enlarge.


Have a comment on this story?

We welcome your comments on this story, but there are some rules to follow::

(1) Be Nice. No comments that slander another, no racism, no sexism, no personal attacks.

(2) No Harrassing Comments. If someone says something bad about you, don't respond. That's childish.

(3) No Libel. That's saying something is not true about someone. Don't do it.

(4) Keep it clean. Nothing vulgar, obscene or sexually related. No profanity or obvious substitutions. Period.

(5) reserves the right to remove any comments that violate our rules or we think to be inappropriate. We are not responsible for what is posted. Comments may not appear right away until they are approved by a moderator.

(6) Limit your comments to the subject in this story only, and limit comments to 300 words or less. Do not post copyrighted material. Comments will not be added to stories that are over 30 days old.

(7) No posts may advertise a commercial business or political group, or link to another commercial web site or political site of any kind.