New Multi-Agency ‘Gun Response Team’ Formed In Escambia County
August 7, 2012
Law enforcement agencies are teaming up in Escambia County to form the “Gun Response Team” to investigate incidents of gun related crimes in the county.
The multi-agency group will respond to and investigate crimes where a firearm was the weapon of choice. At times, they will support investigations by the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office or the Pensacola Police Department. Sometimes the team will be the primary investigative unit.
“The goal of this initiative is the reduction of gun related violence as well as the arrest and successful prosecution of those who commit gun related crimes,” according to the Sheriff’s Office.
The Gun Response Team will respond to crimes including:
- Homicides that are gun related
- Drive by shootings
- Intentional weapon discharges with property damage or injury
- Suspicious firearm wounds and firearm wounds to known criminals
- Persons arrested and charged with a firearm violation (primary and secondary)
- Illegal aliens with firearms
- Narcotic related crimes involving firearms
- Illegal firearms and weapons caches
- Found or recovered firearms (including those with no arrest)
The Gun Response Team consists of members from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office, Pensacola Police Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the State Attorney’s Office. Also assisting in the venture will be the Florida Department of Probation and Parole, the Federal Bureau of Investigations, the U.S. Marshal’s and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
The first day of operation for the new team was Monday.