Century Election: Hawkins, Johnston In Runoff; McMurray Jackson Elected

October 6, 2010

One Century Town Council race is headed into a runoff while another candidate defeated her opponent by a narrow margin in Tuesday’s primary election.

Sandra McMurray Jackson was elected to the Seat 5 on the council currently held by Sharon Scott, who did not see re-election. Jackson is the owner of Jackson-McMurray Funeral Services in Century. She defeated retired insurance agent Annie Carter Savage by just eight votes — 164 to 156. The narrow margin, according to Escambia County Supervisor of Elections David Stafford, was not great enough to trigger an automatic recount.

“I’ll feel truly blessed,” Jackson said after learning she had been elected to the council. “I love Century; I love the people here in Century.”

Incumbent Henry Hawkins and political newcomer Jacke Johnston will meet in a runoff on November 9 for the council’s Seat 3. Hawkins, a Pensacola State College instructor and retired Air Force staff sergeant, received 44.55 percent of the vote — shy of the 50 percent needed for a win. Johnston, a teacher at Byrneville Elementary School, received 32.71 percent of the vote, while Robert Lasher, an Edward D. Jones financial adviser, finished third with 22.74 percent.

Hawkins was not present at the vote count Tuesday evening at Century City Hall.

“I’m really excited. I’m ready to part of a council that work together to do what is best for all of the citizens of Century,” Johnston said Tuesday night.

Gary Riley, who is retired from Gulf Power, ran unopposed and was re-elected to Seat 4.

For a photo gallery from Tuesday night’s vote count at Century Town Hall, click here.

Each Century Town Council member serves four years, with staggered elections for council members and mayor held every two years.

Pictured top: Newly elected Century Town Council member Sandra McMurray Jackson gets a congratulatory hug from Mayor Freddie McCall as she is announced as a primary election winner Tuesday night. Pictured bottom inset: Third place finisher for Seat 3, Robert Lasher (background), listens as vote totals are announced by Escambia County Supervisor of Elections David Stafford. Pictured top inset: Jacke Johnston will face Henry Hawkins for Seat 3 in the November 9 general election. NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Molino House Fire Believed To Be Arson (With Photo Gallery)

October 6, 2010

[Updated] Fire destroyed an abandoned brick home in Molino Tuesday evening, and the State Fire Marshal’s Office believes the blaze was the work of an arsonist.

The fire was reported in the 3500 block of Molino Road just after 6 p.m., and the fire was reported to be contained about 6:45 p.m. There were no injuries reported.

According to Lt. Kevin Fiedor with the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the home was in foreclosure and had no power and no gas. He said the fire appeared to have started in the rear of the home.

“We believe at this time that it was arson,” Fiedor  said. He estimated damage to the home to be about $65,000. Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (850) 453-7803.

The Molino, Cantonment, McDavid, Century, Walnut Hill and Beulah stations of Escambia Fire Rescue responded to the blaze.

Some of the fire units were on scene until about 11 p.m. Tuesday.

For a photo gallery from the scene, click here.

Submitted and NorthEsambia.com photos, click  to enlarge.

Underage Open House Party Suspect Arrested Again

October 6, 2010

A 39-year old Century woman is accused of throwing an open house party last month with about two dozen underage teens is back behind bars.

Jennifer Leigh Black, 39, was arrested Tuesday afternoon on an outstanding violation of probation warrant. She is being held in the Escambia County Jail without bond.

Parents told deputies that the teen house parties at Black’s residence  included alcohol, drugs and underage sex. Some of the minors at the party were as young as 16. It was the second alleged open house party raided at the woman’s home this year.

At the time she was arrested in September on the open house party charge, Black was on probation on multiple charges, including grand theft, uttering a forged instrument, uttering a forged instrument, and forgery of a check.

For more on the circumstances surround the original open house party charge against Black, click here for a September 16 NorthEscambia.com story.

HS Volleyball: Northview Splits Varsity, JV Wins With Freeport

October 6, 2010

Northview’s varsity fell to Freeport while Northview’s junior varsity beat Freeport in Tuesday volleyball action.

Varsity

Northview lost to Freeport in five games, 17-25, 21-25, 25-15, 25-13, 7-15.

“The Varsity team struggled to find the stability we needed through the first and second game. In the third and fourth game they came out and played hard and were much more consistent. In the fifth and final game the stability they lacked in the first and second game came back and we were unable to fix it before the game was over,” said Head Coach Betty Heaton.

Shawna Montgomery lead the Chiefs with 30 kills, one dig, one block tree aces, while Sarah Killam had 16 assists and three kills. Josie Doucette, a junior, had two aces and six kills.

The varsity Chiefs are 5-13 overall, 3-2 in the district.

Junior Varsity

The Northview JV team beat Freeport in two games, 25-14, 25-15.

“The JV did a great job coming out strong and maintaining it though out the second game,” Heaton said.

Madison Arrington had one kill, two aces and three assists for the Chiefs. Danielle Steadham recorded four kills, one block, one dig and one ace; and Lana Clayton added seven kill and seven aces.

The JV Chiefs are 4-8 overall.

Ernest Ward Students Checked Out For Friday’s Homecoming Parade Will Be Excused

October 6, 2010

All students checked out from Ernest Ward Middle School for Friday afternoon’s Northview Homecoming Parade will be excused.

Principal Nancy Gindl-Perry said students should be checked out after 11:30 if at all possible. They will not be required to return to school, and they will be excused, she said. Teachers should not be giving any tests or graded assignments, and, if they do, students will have the opportunity to make them up on Monday.

A photo identification is necessary to check a student out at Ernest Ward, and the parent or guardian must be listed as authorized to checkout the student with the school.

County Outlines Employment Contract For New Administrator

October 6, 2010

The Escambia County Commission is expected to approve an employment agreement Thursday for new County Administrator Charles “Randy” Oliver.

According to the contract, which was negotiated between the county attorney and Oliver:

  • Employment at will by the Board of County Commissioners;
  • An annual base compensation of $145,000
  • The same health and insurance benefits as all county employees, which will continue six months beyond termination
  • Relocation expenses to be capped at $9,900 plus mileage for one family car
  • Retirement benefits (senior management class; qualified optional annuity plan, investment plan or pension plan)
  • Travel and standard expenses for county related business
  • Tuition, registration, books for seminars and conferences (county related)
  • Dues and subscriptions (county related)
  • A monthly car allowance of $500 in lieu of a county car
  • Either a County-owned phone or a $100 per month phone allowance
  • If terminated without cause by the Board, he shall receive 50% of his annual base pay and he will be entitled to all accumulated PTO, MOB and ELB leave
  • Voluntary separation by Oliver with 90-day notice, Oliver shall be entitled to received all accumulated PTO, MOB and ELB
  • Accrual of leave as other senior management employees, but commencing as an employee in their 11th year of county employment
  • The term of the agreement is three years beginning November 1, 2010, with the opportunity for the BOCC by majority vote to renew for a second three-year term
  • Annual reviews, to be done either informally or formally

Ernest Ward Middle Undefeated After 30-6 Win Over Blacksher (With Photo Gallery)

October 6, 2010

The Ernest Ward Middle School Eagles improved to 6-0 with a win over J.U. Blacksher of Uriah Tuesday night, 30-6.

The Eagles struck early, with eighth grader Cameron Newsome in for a 60 yard touchdown less than a minute into the first quarter. With Jaylen Parker in for a good two point conversion, the Eagles were up 8-0.

Ernest Ward scored again with 5:12 to go in the first quarter with a Jaran Miles touchdown. Miles was in for a successful two point conversion, expanding the Eagles’ lead to 16-0.

Ernest Ward will go for win number seven and a perfect season on October 19 when they host the Cougars of Escambia County.

For a NorthEscambia.com photo gallery from the game, click here.

Pictured top: A host of J.U. Blacksher defenders attempt to stop Ernest Ward’s Aaron McDonald Tuesday night in Walnut Hill. Pictured inset:  Jaran Miles in for an EWMS touchdown. Pictured below: The Ernest Ward Middle School cheerleaders. NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.


Jay JV Beats Excel

October 6, 2010

The junior varsity Jay Royals beat the Excel Panthers Tuesday night in Jay, 22-20. The JV Royals will travel to Baker at 6 p.m. on October 19. Submitted photos by Michele Gibbs for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Flomaton Students Learn Fire Safety

October 6, 2010

Students at Flomaton Elementary School got a lesson in fire safety Tuesday morning. Flomaton Fire Lt. Jeremy Lee (pictured) demonstrated how a fireman might look when rescuing a child from a burning home. The children also learned about “Stop, Drop and Roll”, fire prevention and had the opportunity to meet Smokey the Bear.

For a NorthEscambia.com photo gallery from the event, click here.

NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

5-Year Old Found Wandering Street Alone

October 5, 2010

A five-year old boy found wandering a Century street was safely reunited with his mother Sunday thanks to the help of a local pastor and two Escambia County deputies.

Janet Lee, pastor of the Century United Methodist Church, told deputies she was driving on Mayo Street Sunday afternoon when she was flagged down by the young boy who had tears flowing down his face. The boy told Lee that he was lost and that he did not know the whereabouts of his mother.

He pointed out his residence in the 7000 block of Mayo Street. Lee did not see anyone around the home, so she called the Sheriff’s Office.

At the Sheriff’s Office Century Precinct, Deputy David Bashore questioned the young man who knew his first name but not his last. He was able to tell Bashore his mother’s name. The deputy looked up the mother in the Sheriff’s Office computer system and was able to show the child a photo that he said was his mother.

Deputy Bashore and Deputy David Preston drove to the residence on Mayo Street where they found the front door standing open but no one home. The child was transported back to the precinct. The young child told Deputy Bahore that he was picked up Sunday morning by someone that took him to a local church for services. The boy was dropped off at his residence on Mayo Street following services.

The Department of Children and Families was called. Before the DCF worker could arrive in Century, the deputies were able to locate a cell phone number for the child’s grandmother who in turned contacted the child’s mother. The mother, age 26, picked up the young boy at the Century Precinct a short time later.

Deputies said the mother believed another relative was at her home when the child was dropped off by the church volunteer.

No charges have been filed in connection with the incident.

« Previous PageNext Page »