Consultant: Century’s Gas Department Fair To Customers
March 2, 2010
The Town of Century’s gas consultant told the town council that the town is being a good steward of its gas department, despite recent claims of faulty equipment leading to abnormally high bills.
“I think you are doing exactly what you were elected to do,” Bobby Boyd, a consultant for the company City Services, said. “I do not think you are gypping the customers.”
Boyd spoke to the council Monday night after several residents complained last month that they thought their gas bills were inaccurate and because one council member, Henry Hawkins, said two weeks ago that he thought residents were being over-billed as a result of faulty equipment.
Two weeks ago, Hawkins asserted that in a recent month the town sold more gas that it actually purchased. Boyd said that while a report does show that the town sold 56,000 units of gas while purchasing 52,000, the numbers have to do with the rate structure, not the actual gas sold.
“It does not mean that you physically sold more,” he said.
Boyd said that many of the high gas bill complaints could be explained by “common sense” — January was one of the coldest in the past few decades.
Town Clerk Dorothy Sims said that fewer than 50 of the town’s 593 residential customers complained about unusually high bills, and that almost all manual meter re-readings had confirmed that the town’s electronic gas meters were read correct.
“That don’t explain people getting bills that don’t have gas,” Hawkins said, citing one resident that he did not name. He said that shed had gas bills of $98 and $140 during a two month period when she was not home.
Sims said she had spoken to the person that she believe to be the customer, and the customer had agreed that her daily usage did match the days she was at home using gas. “She agreed she was wrong, and she did use it (gas).”
“It’s usually when we have real, real cold weather and bills go sky high — that’s when we get complaints,” Sims said.
“You can justify bad info all day long,” Hawkins said. “This is what we are shoving down people’s throats.”
As part of its contract with City Services, Boyd said the town had access to a gas expert one day per month that could help assist with troubleshooting any potential customer billing problems — at no extra charge to the twon. He also said his company would provide Century with a recommended customer service policy that would, if adopted by the town, provide a set of standards for dealing with customer oriented issues in the town’s gas department.
Pictured top: This graph shows the daily gas usage of one Century resident who claimed a problem with her gas bill. Century’s mayor says the high usage on the account coincides with low temperatures. The mayor has written the overnight low temperatures on the top of the graph over the days of highest usage, showing that most usage occurred on the days with the lowest temperatures. Submitted for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.
Albritton Announces Candidacy For Escambia Ala. Sheriff
March 2, 2010
Lloyd Albritton of Atmore has announced his candidacy for sheriff of Escambia County, Alabama. Albritton currently serves on the Escambia County Republican Executive Committee and as a delegate to the Alabama Republican State Executive Committee.
He issued the following statement:
“The office of Sheriff is an elective office, which means that the people get an opportunity every four years to take a fresh look at things, reevaluate, and make needed changes. The Sheriff does not put forth or vote on legislation, and his office is considered by many to be a non-partisan job. He is, nevertheless, a highly visible standard-bearer for his party’s politics. And to put it simply, Democratic politics are liberal politics. I believe in the conservative principles and values best exemplified by the Republican perspective. I also believe that most of the voting citizens of Escambia County share these values with me. Consequently, I have accepted my party’s challenge to step forward because I have a strong desire to serve my fellow man. Further, I believe I am qualified to perform the duties of County Sheriff to the highest standards.
“As a fully credentialed Criminal Investigator during my 8 ½ years of military service, I acquired a solid and comprehensive understanding of law enforcement issues and procedures. In addition, I have over 30 years of experience in various business executive positions. I have led men, organized manufacturing and training systems, and developed national sales organizations. I am confident that I have the skills and talents to serve the people of this county well as your Sheriff. This is what I bring to the table.
“What I do not bring to the table are the biases and attitudes of the status quo; that is, I am not a clone of the old regime. I represent the new, not the old. The people have given our current Sheriff two terms in office. Isn’t eight years enough? Elective political offices were never intended to be long-term career jobs, and that includes the office of Sheriff. Over the coming months as the campaign trail heats up, I will be asking the voters of Escambia County to give Lloyd Albritton a try. I hope you will.”
For more information, contact Albritton at (251)368-7063 or e-mail at LloydAlbritton2003@yahoo.com.
Navy Times: Pensacola NAS Commander Fired
March 2, 2010
The commanding officer of Naval Air Station Pensacola, Capt. William P. Reavey, has been fired — according to an article published in the Navy Times.
“The skipper of Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., was fired Friday for ‘inappropriate conduct,’ Navy officials said,” the newspaper published Monday.
A statement released Friday by Pensacola Naval Air Station said Peavy “has been temporarily removed from his position by Commander Navy Region Southeast Rear Adm. Tim Alexander, pending the results of an inquiry into inappropriate conduct”.
The Navy Times and the prepared Navy statement did not elaborate further on the alleged misconduct. According to the newspaper, Reavey was the sixth commanding offier to be fired this year. Read more…
Reavey, 51, of Manchester, Conn., entered the Navy in 1984 and took command of NAS Pensacola in June 2008.
This updates a story we first posted on Saturday.
Free Computer Classes At The Library
March 2, 2010
Free computer classes will be held during March at the Century Branch Library.
Classes include:
March 24
- 9:15 – 10:30 Google
- 10:45 – 12:00 Facebook
Space is limited; sign up now by calling the Century Branch Library at (850) 256-6217.
911 Caller: Firefighters Deserve Recognition For Saving Woman In Bridge Accident
March 2, 2010
Fearless– that’s the term used by the man who witnessed three Cantonment firefighters jump into the cold waters of Jacks Branch to save a woman from a submerged vehicle last week. And now he’s calling for the men to recognized as heroes.
Jack Rainey of Cantonment was headed home late the night of Monday, February 23. He called 911 to report that a vehicle had gone off a bridge on Jacks Branch Road and into the water.
When Cantonment volunteer firefighters A. Fails, Shay McCarro and Coy McKenna arrived just minutes later, they found that a vehicle had gone through the guardrail, over the bridge and fallen about 25 feet to the water below. The vehicle was completely submerged in the branch, the tail lights barely visible. A woman, Denise Ann Holden, 47, of Cantonment, had climbed out of the vehicle and was calling for help.
McCarro and McKenna shed their heavy firefighter bunker gear and went into the creek to save Holden.
Rainey is asking the county to recognize firefighters McCarro, McKenna, and Fails. The following is an email he sent to Escambia Fire-Rescue Lt. Daniel Akerman:
Dear Lt. Daniel Akerman,My name is Jack Rainey, my Wife and I was on our way home from work, and I was the 911 caller on Monday Feb 23rd,
concerning the Lady who went off the Bridge on Jack’s Branch Road.That was the first time I was involved with 911 where I was able to witness Fire Fighters in action other than a fire. They did not talk much,
and every movement or word seemed to have a purpose, seemed all 3 Young Men knew their jobs, and the jobs of the other 2 as well.Even when I was younger, I am not sure I could have done the kind of things these Young Men do. They put the publics safety above their own.
And to me, that says an awful lot about the Integrity and Character that these Young Men possess.I do not recall to many times, seeing in the news, or paper, where Recognition is given to our Emergency personnel, and I feel in my heart,
that this incident should be praised. I would like to nominate those 3 Men for an Award, medal, or Citation. I am not sure of the Fire Department’s
policy on this, and would appreciate if you could look into this for me. I will assist in any way that I can.
I live on Perdido Lake Road, which is just up the street from the scene, and if 911 is ever called to my House for me or my family, and the if
Crew that arrives are as Professional as those 3, then I feel VERY confident and assured of their abilities to save a life.
This is what I posted on NorthEscambia.com,
*30 Responses to “Firefighters Rescue Woman From Submerged Vehicle After It Plummets Off Bridge”*
1. Jack Rainey on February 25th, 2010 6:16 pm
4 min and 14 seconds, that’s the time it took our Cantonment Boys
to reach the scene. That’s pretty fast to me. When that truck
stopped, they were out and going like ants. No hesitation from any
of them. One man was breaking out equipment and the other 2 headed
down to the creek and coming out of their fire suites. That water
is cold even in the summer. Watching all 3, the only word that
came to my mind was “Fearless” I asked the 2 taking off their
suites if I could help, one of them said”No Sir, but thank you”
Some of the Best Teamwork I have ever witnessed. They earned my
Respect 10 times over that night. I talked to the man breaking out
equipment, and he said “Thank you for calling and allowing us to
do our job” I also talked to the first one in the water, on the
phone last night at the Station, very respectful. When I asked him
could my wife and I order them Pizza he hesitated, funny as how on
scene he did not. Ordered them 3 large ones. Never had a son, if I
did, hope he would be as Honorable as those 3 young men are!
Jack Rainey
Cantonment, Fl. 32533
Pictured above: A Cantonment driver crashed through the guardrail on this bridge over Jacks Branch last week, crashing about 25 feet into the water below. Pictured below: In this digitally enhanced photo, the tail lights and outline of the vehicle are barely visible in an estimated 12-15 feet of water. NorthEscambia.com exclusive file photos, click to enlarge.
Students Of The Month Named
March 2, 2010
Escambia County Students of the Month for February have been named by the Escambia Association for Administrators in Education. The awards are presented monthly to two students from participating schools.
The following students were named from North Escambia area schools:
- Bratt: Kendrell B. Lowery, third grade; Jaylee S. Redmond, kindergarten.
- Jim Allen: Hunter L. Myrick, kindergarten; Kendall E. Newton, kindergarten.
- Molino Park: Reagan G. Daniels, kindergarten; Jaden I. Lewis, kindergarten.
- Ernest Ward: Kelton J. Wooten, seventh grade; Kyle A. Wood, eighth grade.
- Ransom: Britton S. Dunn, eighth grade; Anna M. Del Gallo, eighth grade.
- Northview: Jessica N. Bloodsworth, senior; Seth M. Leonard, senior.
- Tate: Amy E. Sapp, freshman; Tyler D. Emmons, senior.
Pictured top: Seth Leonard and Jessica Bloodsworth, Northview High School’s Students of the Month for February. Submitted photo for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.
Police Impersonator Arrested; Had Badge And Crown Victoria With Lights
March 1, 2010
A Pensacola man allegedly pretending to be a cop was busted by the real thing Sunday at a Pensacola Taco Bell.
Reginald Mahlon Wilson, 27, was charged with impersonating a police office and unlawful use of a police badge.
Escambia County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a Taco Bell on Fairfield Drive Sunday morning in reference to a suspicious individual wearing a police insignia and driving a Ford Crown Victoria.
“When deputies arrived, they observed Wilson driving a green Ford Crown Victoria as described by the caller and wearing a green police style jacket with Dixie County Sheriff’s Office patches and a silver police style badge. A search of the suspect’s vehicle revealed a toggle switch that operated strobe lights on the front of the vehicle,” according to an Escambia Sheriff’s Office press release.
Wilson was released from the Escambia County Jail on $12,000 bond.
Three Charged With Armed Robberies In Molino, Cantonment
March 1, 2010
Three Cantonment men are behind bars, facing a list of charges in connection with an early morning armed robbery spree that included convenience stores in Molino and Cantonment.
The trio is facing charges after the armed robbery of the Tom Thumb Store in Molino and the Tom Thumb in Cantonment,and burglary of the Bindu Food Mart in Cantonment. The robberies began about 3:30 Monday morning at the Molino Tom Thumb and ended with the arrest of the three men in Winn Dixie parking lot in Cantonment shortly before 6 a.m. There was no robbery reported at the Winn Dixie.
Joshua Russell Harris, 21 of 1509 Parker Road Cantonment, is charged with two counts armed robbery and is being held on $150,000 bond. Jonathan Alan Harris, 20, of 1509 Parker Road Cantonment and Christopher Ryan Coon, 23, of 2321 Parker Road Cantonment, are both charged with two counts each accessory to armed robbery and are being held on $100,000 bond each.
Joshua Harris is also charged with larceny, criminal mischief property damage, burglary and possession of marijuana. Jonathan Harris is also charged with burglary, larceny and criminal mischief property damage. Coon is also facing charges of burglary, criminal mischief property damage and larceny.
According to the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office, the Tom Thumb at 7331 North Highway 29 in Molino was robbed at 3:26 a.m. Store employees said a white male wearing a gray sweatshirt and a hoodie demanding money while acting as if he had a gun in his pocket. In addition to an undisclosed amount of cash, the suspect also took a large amount of change, several butane lighters, some food items and three cartons of cigarettes.
The suspect also threatened to kill the store clerk of she set off the alarm before he fled toward Highway 97 in white Nissan pickup occupied two other white males.
While deputies were investigating the Molino armed robbery, they received a report of a burglary in progtess at the Bindu Food Mart on Muscogee Road. A witness reported three white males, including one in a gray hoodie sweatshirt, had robbed the business and fled in a white Nissan pickup. Deputies arrived to find the front door glass broken and several items taken from within arm’s reach of the damaged door, according to the arrest report.
At short time later, deputies were notified that another armed robbery had occurred at the Tom Thumb at 392 South Highway 29 in Cantonment. The suspect was described as a white male in a gray hoodie swearshirt.
A short time later, deputies located a white Nissan pickup truck in the Cantonment Winn Dixie parking lot that occupied by two white males. A third white male, wearing a gray hoodie sweatshirt, a short distance away in store parking lot.
“All three were intoxicated, had large amounts of change as well as cartons of unopened cigarettes and miscellaneous food items that matched the descriptions provided by witnesses,” deputy John Holcombe wrote in his report. All three were positively identified by the store clerks from both Tom Thumbs.
Jonathon Harris told deputies that the trio had been drinking heavily and “the three discussed knocking over a convenience store”, according to the Sheriff’s Office report. Jonathon Harris said he had agreed to drive the getaway vehicle occupied by his brother Joshua Harris and Coon. Jonathon Harris and Coon both admitted their involvement in the armed robberies and burglary, according to the arrest report.
Johsua Harris sated “that he had been drinking heavily on this date and did not remember anything that had occurred for the entire night,” deputy Holcombe’s report said.
Banks Warn About New Texting Scam
March 1, 2010
Area banks and credit unions are warning people not to respond to text messages that lead you to call a toll free number about your accounts.
The text messages appear to be from your bank or credit union and provide a toll free number.
“Reports are that return calls to the number have the recipient enter card or account data which is ‘validated’ by having it entered a second time. The senders of the messages are conducting a “text-phishing scam,” attempting to trick recipients into providing sensitive financial information,” according to a statement from Gulf Winds Federal Credit Union. Customers of other financial institutions have also reportedly received the text messages.
NorthEscambia.com has received numerous emails from residents in the North Escambia area reporting that they have received such a message.
Gulf Winds and other banks and credit unions do not ask for personal information in text messages or emails. If you receive such a text or email, you are advised not to respond. If you have already responded to such a message and provided your financial information, you should contact your credit union or bank immediately.
Court Sides With School District: Former Out Of State Teachers Not Owed $350,000
March 1, 2010
The First District Court of Appeals has ruled that Escambia County is not obligated to pay in excess of $350,000 in back pay sought by eight teachers that entered the Escambia County School District with out of state experience.
The current and former teachers asserted that they did not receive proper placement on the school district’s salary schedule because they were not given proper credit for their teaching experience outside of Florida. Under the district’s salary schedule, more years of teaching experience equals a higher salary.
The school board asserted that years of experience outside Florida should be treated equally to service in Florida, and the district claimed that was the spirit of law enacted by the Florida Legislature. Each of the eight teachers claimed they were owed back pay up to $101,427 under their interpretation of the law.
“This was a huge win for the taxpayers,” Jeff Bergosh, school board member, said of last week’s court opinion. “The Legislature never intended to give something to out of state teachers that was not given to Florida teachers.”
“The district was fair and consistent in step placement for both in-state and out of state teachers who were new to the district, and it’s nice to do the right thing for all teachers and to come out on top and not be penalized by the courts,” Bergosh wrote on his blog.
For more on the lawsuit, and to read some of the legal documents in the case, visit Bergosh’s blog at jeffbergoshblog.blogspot.com





