Future Of Class Size Amendment 8 Campaign In Question

September 2, 2010

Republican lawmakers have spent much of the past two years advocating a rollback of a constitutional cap on the number of students in school classrooms. But now that the proposed tweak is on the November ballot, one question remains: Who is going to campaign for a looser standard, and who will pay for it?

The Florida Association of District School Superintendents and the Florida Association of School Boards fought for legislative approval this past spring, but it will take more to get 60 percent of the voters to sign off on changing the requirements. And the two groups are squaring off against a frequent ally, the Florida Education Association, the statewide teachers’ union that could mount a serious, well-funded campaign in opposition to the proposal.

Bill Montford, executive director of the Florida Association of District School Superintendents, said there was never any expectation that his association put up the money to fund a public campaign in favor of the proposal, known as Amendment 8. The superintendents and school boards, he said, simply don’t have the money.

“That’s one of the problems,” said Montford, also a candidate for the state Senate. “So, I’m not sure how the campaign will be funded.”

In 2002, voters overwhelmingly passed the class size constitutional amendment that capped individual classrooms at 18 students in kindergarten through third grade, 22 in fourth through eighth grade, and 25 in high school, with the limits having been phased in since the amendment was passed. But with shrinking state revenues, many school districts said they cannot implement the class size caps as originally envisioned.

The Escambia County School District held two public workshops to lobby for a “Yes” vote on Amendment 8. Click here for that story.

Last week, the hard caps on individual classrooms went into effect.

Lawmakers who support the change are counting on school districts to get the word out through a grassroots approach to voters.

“Our network is full of parents, school administrators and school board members,” said Rep. Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, who sponsored the amendment in the Legislature.

Weatherford said he believes several groups will raise money to fund a campaign and that Tallahassee public relations executive Ron Sachs would be coordinating that effort. The law allows for groups to create largely unregulated committees known as 527s, which could allow a variety of groups to pump cash into it to fund a public campaign, but neither Weatherford nor Sachs would specifically say where the money will come from.

Sachs, in an interview with the News Service Wednesday, said the campaign is banking on a coalition of groups for support and will rely heavily on the gubernatorial campaigns – both GOP nominee Rick Scott and Democratic candidate Alex Sink support the change – as well as news media coverage and social media tools to publicize the need for the amendment. He also hopes the group will be able to air commercials regarding the issue closer to the election.

“If we don’t revise class size it is going to be the single biggest killer of state local budgets and family budgets,” Sachs said.

Rocky Hanna, the principal at Leon High School in Tallahassee and a supporter of Amendment 8, said that in a perfect world, the classroom cap system would work, but the schools simply have not received an adequate amount of money from the state to carry that out and therefore need some flexibility.

He admits he doesn’t foresee voters approving the class size tweak, but he thinks parents are getting the message about how the class size requirement is handicapping schools.

“They know, they’re getting the message now this fall because there’s no wiggle room.” Hanna said. “When they ask for schedule changes from this to AP, from honors to general. Sorry, I’m sorry. We cannot accommodate you.”

On the flip side, the Florida Education Association is already working to persuade voters to vote no on Amendment 8. The group filed a lawsuit to boot the amendment from the November ballot and a Leon County circuit judge will hear the case next week. But it is also preparing to mount a significant campaign to defeat the amendment should it wind up on the ballot.

State Sen. Alex Villalobos, R-Miami, is chairing the “Vote No On 8″ campaign in coordination with the union, which has had a history of success in galvanizing teachers across the state to advocate on behalf of various causes. The group does not think it will be tough to convince voters to strike down the proposal.

“I haven’t heard any classroom teachers or any parents say they want more kids in their classroom and I think that’s what we need to make clear,” said FEA spokesman Mark Pudlow.

Pictured: Members of the Escambia County School Board lobby for Amendment 8 at a recent workshop meeting at Northview High School. NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Arrest Warrant Still Pending For Fireman Accused Of Abandoning Dogs

September 2, 2010

An arrest warrant for an Escambia County volunteer fireman accused of abandoning three dogs is still pending.

The warrant was not active as of late Wednesday afternoon, according to Melissa Aiken Rawson, spokesperson for the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office. Once a warrant application is submitted by deputies, it can take a number of days before it is reviewed and signed by a judge, she said.

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office has submitted an arrest warrant  for judicial review charging the firefighter with a felony count of grand theft, and misdemeanor charges of abandonment of animals and obstruction of justice.  As a matter of policy, NorthEscambia.com generally does not identify suspects until they are formally charged.

Disciplinary action was taken against the volunteer by the department, according to Century Assistant District Chief David Adams. He declined to elaborate.

The volunteer allegedly abandoned three dogs that were reported to be “rescued” by the Century Station of Escambia Fire Rescue August 22. The department requested NorthEscambia.com run a story seeking the dog’s owners so that they could be returned. The volunteer allegedly agreed to take care of the dogs until the owner stepped forward. He eventually told a fire department officer that he had found a good home for the dogs with a man in Walnut Hill. Instead, the volunteer told deputies,  he abandoned the canines at Pine Barren Road and Highway 168 near Bratt.

The Sheriff’s Office was contacted after the dogs’ owner saw the NorthEscambia.com story and went to the fire department to retrieve his animals. The dogs were found a few days later on Highway 4, not far from Northview High School. They were  determined to be in good condition by a veterinarian and returned the owner.

For more on this story, click here for an August 27 article.

Pictured top: These cellphone photos show three dogs found the evening of August 22 on North Century Boulevard just south of Tedder Road. The firefighter partially in the photograph is not the firefighter suspect in the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office investigation into the disappearance of the dogs. Photos for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Escambia Mexican Restaurant Owners Charged With Faking Death

September 2, 2010

A federal indictment has been returned charging the husband and wife owners of Mexican restaurants in Escambia County with conspiring to commit a $2 million fraud by faking a death.

The federal indictment alleges that Ismael B. Rodriguez, 45, and his wife, Maria Rodriguez, 41, were involved in a conspiracy to commit mail fraud based upon a fraudulent life insurance claim. The indictment outlines a scheme wherein the defendants traveled to Mexico in 2008 and faked the death of Ismael B. Rodriguez. Maria Rodriguez is alleged to have then returned to the United States with a fraudulent Mexican death certificate in an attempt to collect approximately $2 million worth of life insurance on her husband. In reality, Ismael B. Rodriguez was alive and later located by law enforcement, according to United States Attorney Pamela C. Marsh, Northern District of Florida.

The defendants made their initial appearance Wednesday in federal court before United States Magistrate Judge Miles Davis. Judge Davis ordered that both defendants be subject to electronic home monitoring pending trial. The defendants face up to 20 years imprisonment on each count if convicted.

This case was investigated by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Florida Department of Financial Services – Fraud Division. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney David L. Goldberg.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the Rodriquez own the Cazadores Mexican Restaurants in the Pensacola area.

FHP Cracks Down On Drunk Driving Now Through Labor Day

September 2, 2010

The Florida Highway Patrol is participating in the national “Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest.” campaign through Labor Day. The Patrol is joining thousands of other
law enforcement and highway safety agencies across the nation to reduce the number of impaired drivers on Florida’s roadways in an effort to save lives.

“Drunk driving is simply not worth the risk. Not only do you risk killing yourself or someone else, but also the trauma and financial costs of a crash or an arrest for impaired driving can be significant,” said FHP Director, Colonel John Czernis. “Violators often face jail time, the loss of their driver license, higher insurance rates, attorney fees, time away from work and dozens of other expenses. Do not take the chance. Remember, if you are over the limit, you can expect to be under arrest.”

The campaign encompasses the Labor Day holiday weekend, which begins September 3. The holiday caps off the summer season for many, and historically travel increases with people driving to celebrate with friends and family. In addition to the national enforcement campaign, the Patrol will participate in Operation C.A.R.E. (Combined Accident Reduction Effort) during the four-day holiday weekend. The operation involves all 50 state police and highway patrol organizations across the United States.

All uniformed FHP personnel, including those normally assigned to administrative duties, will patrol interstates and other major state roads during the four-day holiday period. FHP Auxiliary and Reserve troopers also will volunteer to augment the Patrol this weekend. The Patrol aims to increase its presence throughout Florida in an effort to deter traffic violations and to enhance services to motorists who break down while traveling or who need other assistance. Please remember to dial *FHP (*347) from your cell phone to contact FHP to report an aggressive or impaired driver or to request roadside assistance.

The Patrol reminds motorists that Florida’s primary safety belt law authorizes law enforcement officers to stop and cite motorists solely for failure to buckle up. Also, be sure to move over for stopped emergency vehicles with flashing lights on the side of the road. If you are unable to change lanes safely, slow down to 20 mph below the posted speed limit, or to five mph if the speed limit is 20 mph or less

Lawmen Seek Help In 25 Year Old Missing North Escambia Woman Case

September 2, 2010

Twenty-five years after she was first reported missing, authorities still don’t know what happened to a North Escambia woman believed to be the victim of violence.

On the morning of Saturday, August 31, 1985,  Lucetta Pauley Starkie, 51, was reported missing by a sibling who explained that Starkie had been missing since about the beginning of July of that same year.

Starkie had been living with her husband of more than 25 years in the Bay Springs community near Walnut Hill at the last time she was seen. Starkie is believed to have been the victim of violence, according to the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office.

Lucetta Pauley Starkie was also known as “Lu” and “Lucy” to her friends and family, as well as Lucetta Mary Alice Starkie. Her whereabouts are still unknown.

Anyone with any information at all regarding what might have happened to Starkie, or anyone that was familiar with Starkie with the time frame leading up to August 31, 1985, is asked to contact the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit at (850) 436-9580 or Gulf Coast Crime Stoppers at (850) 433-STOP.

Manhunt Puts College On Lockdown; Suspect Arrested

September 1, 2010

Jefferson Davis Community College in Brewton was on lockdown Wednesday morning as manhunt was underway for a suspect that fled from police.

According to Brewton Police Chief Monte McGougin, authorities were searching for a man wanted for DUI that fled from officers last night.  Benjamin Jackson was taken into custody early Wednesday afternoon. He was being treated for minor injuries received while he was one the run overnight in a wooded area near the college.

Jackson allegedly hit a house with his car Tuesday night. A manhunt  for Jackson followed but was called off without success about midnight. Someone spotted Jackson about 8:00 Wednesday morning near Pea Ridge Road.

“He’s not going to be real dangerous,” McGougin said as the manhunt was underway. He described the suspect as a white male wearing red boxer shorts.

The lockdown at Jeff Davis was lifted about 10:45 a.m..

High Hopes: Selling Century To Potential Industry

September 1, 2010

Century’s mayor has high hopes for the future growth of his town. And he has about 40,000 square feet of space that would be just perfect for a company looking to locate and grow on the Gulf Coast.

“It has a lot of office space up front,” he said as he showed the empty Helicopter Technology Building in the town’s industrial park. “It has a little kitchen here with a microwave.” He knows the real estate sales pitch on the building the town repurchased for less than $1 at foreclosure auction one year ago.

Standing on the huge plant floor, McCall does not see just empty space and an odd arrangement of old couches and a grandfather clock moved from the office space. He sees the potential for a company to thrive — and the key to Century’s growth.

“It’s ready to go,” McCall said of the building. “Fairly heavy duty electrical wiring. Air conditioning. Plenty of room. It has great potential.”

The biggest potential of the building, according to the mayor, is the fact that it’s move-in ready. He said that would allow a company to become operational quickly, rather than waiting for permits and construction of a new facility.

As for the price, McCall — reverting back to his pitchman tone — said, “The more jobs it creates, the better we can negotiate”.

“Things are looking up in Century,” he said. “We are ready for a company to become part of the excitement.”

Companies interested in the building in the Century Industrial Park can contact Mayor Freddie McCall at (850) 256-3208 or Bennie Barnes at the Century Chamber of Commerce at (850) 256-3155.

Pictured top: Century Mayor Freddie McCall on the empty plant floor in the old Helicopter Technology Building in the Century Industrial Park. Pictured inset: McCall believes the building could be key to the grown of Century. Pictured below: The building, repurchased by the town a year ago at a foreclosure auction, sits empty. NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Three Facing Charges After Deputies Find Alleged Cottage Hill Meth Lab

September 1, 2010

Three people are facing charges after deputies allegedly found an active meth lab in a Williams Ditch Road home.

William Todd Neal, 29, of Williams Ditch Road, Cantonment; Rebecca Doris Jernigan, 35, address listed as transient; and William Thomas Robbins, 22, of Belmont Road, Cantonment, were each charged with possession of methamphetamine with intent to sell, manufacture or deliver, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The trio was arrested after Escambia County Sheriff’s Office deputies were tipped off that a meth lab was being operated at 36 Williams Ditch Road in the Cottage Hill community. Deputies found a meth lab, finished methamphetamine and other drug paraphernalia upon searching the residence, according to a Sheriff’s Office report, last week.

Deputies said they discovered that what they believed to be meth was being manufacturing at the time of the search; a hazardous materials team was called to the scene to remove the alleged meth lab.

Neal remains jailed with bond set at $25,200 bond. Jernigan was released on $6,000 bond, and Robbins is free on $16,000 bond.

NHS, Jay Split Volleyball Matches

September 1, 2010

The Northview Chiefs and the Jay Royals split volleyball matches on Tuesday.

Northview Vs. Jay –Varsity

At the varsity level, the Lady Chiefs (1-1) beat Jay in four games — 25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-21.

Northview stats:

Shawn Montgomery — Kills-8, Aces-1, Blocks-2
Kara Hardin — Aces-1, Digs-3, Blocks-1 Kills-7
Ashley Digmon –Assists-5,Aces -9, Digs-5
Katie Wieborg – Kills-6, Assists-3, Aces-1

Northview Vs. Jay — Junior Varsity

In JV action, the Lady Royals defeated Northview (0-2)  in a three-game match, 25-21, 15-25, 7-15.

Northview JV stats:

Rebecca Masaitis – Kills-1, Assists-1, Aces-1
Madison Arrington — Assits-6. Aces-1
Lana Clayton – Kills-4, Aces-1
Danielle Steadham — Kills-3, Aces-1

Work To Begin Today On Elm Street In Century

September 1, 2010

Traffic flow is expected to be interrupted for about 10 days on Elm Street in Century. Motorists should choose an alternative route while construction is underway, according to Sonya Daniel, public information manager for Escambia County.

« Previous PageNext Page »