Two Injured When Car Slams Into Broken Down Semi On Highway 29

September 22, 2010

Two people were injured when their car slammed into the back of a parked 18-wheeler in Molino early this morning.

Charles Curtis Wolfe, 31, of Byrneville Road, Century and Jason A. Hadley, 26, address unknown, both claimed to be backseat passengers in a Volkswagen Jetta that collided with the truck about 2:30 a.m., according to the Florida Highway Patrol. The FHP said both men claimed that the driver of their vehicle fled the scene; however, first responders were unable to locate any sign of a third person in the accident.

The accident happened on Highway 29 near Mathison Road in front of the Molino Health Department. The broken down truck had been parked on the shoulder of the road for some period of time prior to the crash. The semi-truck driver was not with the truck at the time of the crash.

The FHP estimated the speed of the car at about 60-65 mph when it struck the trailer.

Wolfe and Hadley were transported by ambulance to a Pensacola hospital. Their conditions were not available.

In addition to the Florida Highway Patrol, Escambia County EMS and the Molino Station of Escambia Fire Rescue responded to the call.

Pictured above and below: Two people were injured when this Volkswagen Jetta struck the back of a broken-down semi-truck early Wednesday morning in Molino. NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Pharmacy Bandit Wore Underwear On His Head, Gun Recovered

September 22, 2010

There have been no arrests in Monday afternoon’s armed robbery of Scott’s Pharmacy in Molino, but we now know more details about what happened inside the pharmacy and at a standoff at a nearby home.

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office has released their incident report on the robbery, which occurred just before 1:30 Monday afternoon.

The bandit was described as a white male in navy blue bathrobe, blue jeans, black house slippers, yellow kitchen-type gloves, and with  boxer shorts on his head. He entered the store and announced that he was robbing the business, which is located at the intersection of Highway 29 and Molino Road. Employees said he was armed with a revolver that was wrapped in a plastic bag and pointed at a store employee as he demanded prescription narcotics. The suspect threatened to kill witnesses if the police responded, the report states.

The suspect said, “No cops better pull up, because I will kill someone and I will not have a problem doing it either,”  a pharmacy employee told deputies.

He fled the store with a large quantity of narcotics worth several thousand dollars in two plastic bags, according to the ECSO report. Deputies recovered an unknown number of pill bottles outside the store following the robbery. Investigators did not say how much of the stolen medication was recovered.

A store employee told deputies that she recognized the suspect as a pharmacy customer by his voice.

For a photo gallery from the pharmacy and the standoff on Molino Road, click here.

A witness told deputies that he saw the armed robber run from the store and enter his getaway vehicle.  A vehicle matching the exact description was located in the yard of a home in the 400 block of Molino Road near the U.S. Post Office.

A short time after the robbery, numerous deputies converged on the home. With weapons drawn, deputies ordered the occupants of the home to exit.  Two people — a male and female — complied and were temporarily detained and later released.

A third person refused to exit the home. Deputies could be heard calling the man by name, ordering him step outside and threatening to send a K-9 into the home. After the standoff continued for about a half hour, the man exited the brick home and was detained. He was later released after being questioned by investigators.

Inside the home, deputies recovered a .38 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver matching the description of the one given by store employees, according to the report.

None of the individuals at the Molino Road home had been charged with any crime as of early Wednesday morning. The Sheriff’s Office investigation into the incident is continuing.

Click here for an earlier story about the robbery. For a photo gallery from the scene, click here.

Pictured top: An unnamed male was temporarily detained by deputies Monday afternoon at a home in the 400 block of Molino Road. Pictured top inset: Scott’s Pharmacy in Molino was robbed at gunpoint Monday afternoon. Picture inset: An Escambia County Sheriffs Deputy stands with her weapon drawn has she orders a man to exit the backdoor of a home on Molino Road. Pictured below: Deputies were involved in a brief standoff at a Molino Road home following the pharmacy robbery. NorthEscambia.com exclusive photos, click to enlarge.

Ernest Ward Beats Uriah

September 22, 2010

The Ernest Ward Middle School Eagles beat Uriah Tuesday night 44-28 to remain undefeated.

The Eagles will take their perfect 4-0 record on the road to Canoe, Alabama, next Tuesday at 6 p.m. when they take on Escambia Academy. They will return home on October 5 for a rematch with Uriah.

NorthEscambia.com file photo, click to enlarge.

Chinese Restaurant Coming To Century; Existing Retail Store Moving To Larger Location

September 22, 2010

A new Chinese restaurant will be opening soon in Century, and an existing retail business is expanding into a new, larger location.

Building permits were issued earlier this month for the Chinese Restaurant at Century owned by Qui Guo Wei of Pace. The business will be located at 8321 North Century Boulevard, across from Whataburger.

By the end of this month, the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store will move into a larger building. The store will move from its current location at 7850 North Century Boulevard to 9420 North Century Boulevard, near the Dollar General Store.

Pictured top: A new Chinese restaurant is planned for this location on North Century Boulevard near Whataburger. Also pictured: The St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store (inset) will be moving into the building below next to the Dollar General. NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Northview, Jay Take Top Spots In Cross Country Meet

September 22, 2010

Northview and Jay took the top spots in a cross country meet held Tuesday at Northview.

Here are the results from Tuesday’s meet:

Girls Overall

  1. Jay
  2. Baker
  3. Northview

Boys Overall

  1. Northview
  2. Jay
  3. Baker

Top 10 Girls

  1. Allison Blair -Jay 23:26
  2. Caristyn Golden -Jay 23:53
  3. Georgia Goetter -Northview 24:06
  4. Robin Blackman -Jay 24:18
  5. Jorja Agrait-Jay 26:06
  6. Sarah Killiam -Northview 26:52
  7. (unnamed runner) -Jay-27:35
  8. Cheyenne Brannon -Baker 27:50
  9. Sierra Brannon -Baker 29:40

Top 10 Boys

  1. James Whitehead -Jay 18:17
  2. Josh Scott -Northview 19:49
  3. Micah Kemp -Jay 20:41
  4. Dylan Scott -Baker20:55
  5. Dustin Lewis -Northview 22:17
  6. Chason Roley -Escambia Academy 22:53
  7. AJ Lambert -Northview 24:05
  8. Brandon Goins -Escambia Academy 24:12
  9. Patton Goetter 24:54
  10. Dillian Crutchfield -Northview 25:32

NorthEscambia.com photos, click to enlarge.

Driver Charged With DUI After Cantonment Wreck (With Photos)

September 22, 2010

A Cantonment man is facing multiple charges following a single vehicle accident Tuesday night in Cantonment.

Curtis  Bailey, Jr., 53, of Smithfield Lane, Cantonment, was charged with driving under the influence, DUI property damage and refusal to submit to a DUI test. He was being held in the Escambia County Jail with bond set at $2,500 bond early Wednesday morning.

Bailey failed to negotiate a curve on Nowak Road just east of Jacks Branch Road about 9:30 Tuesday night. His van left the roadway and traveled into a residential yard where it hit several trees.

The accident was investigated by the Florida Highway Patrol.


Pictured top: A Cantonment man was arrested for DUI following this crash on Nowak Road Tuesday night.  Pictured below: These photos show the vehicle’s path into a Nowak Road yard. NorthEscambia.com photos by Kristi Smith, click to enlarge.


Elm Street Reopens

September 22, 2010

Elm Street in Century reopened to traffic Tuesday.  Work began about three weeks ago to replace a culvert under the street. According to Mayor Freddie McCall, Elm Street opened with a temporary road surface that will be paved at a later date. NorthEscambia.com photo, click to enlarge.

Hack Hits Twitter

September 21, 2010

Security experts warned of a hack that was impacting visitors Tuesday morning to the popular short-message service website Twitter.

The malicious tweets, sometimes appearing as blocked-out text, spread and cause numerous popup windows to open. The hack created its mischief when a visitor moves their mouse over an infected page — visitors were impacted without ever clicking the tweet link.

Now, Twitter Trust and Safety team leader Del Harvey said the hack called “XSS attack” has been identified and repaired.

“The XSS attack should now be fully patched and no longer exploitable,” Harvey said in a tweet.

Third party Twitter clients, such as those on cellular phones, were considered safe from this attack.

Cantonment Man Dies After Pensacola Traffic Crash

September 21, 2010

A Cantonment man died Monday after a traffic crash in Pensacola that was attributed to a medical compilations.

Roosevelt Strong, 71, was pronounced dead at Sacred Heart Hospital following the 8:49 a.m. crash at Diego Circle and Massachusetts Avenue, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Due to unspecified medical complications, Strong lost control of his 1993 Chevrolet van and hit a wooden fence, the FHP said.

A passenger in the vehicle, Jerome Davis, 56, of Pensacola, was not injured.

Century Approves Budget With Half Million Increase

September 21, 2010

Monday night, the Century Town Council approved a 2010-2011 budget with over a half million dollars in increasesand increased ad valorem tax rate for the next fiscal year, which begins October 1.

The town’s total budget is $3,337,231 — an decrease over the 2009-2010 budget of $4,587,744. The difference is due to a  one-time $1.83 million grant for a water infrastructure project during the last fiscal year. The new budget represents an increase of $579,487 over last year’s budget minus the water grant.

Outside of the grant-funded water project, the town’s biggest source of revenue — $1,825,000 — is from water, gas and sewer charges, and the biggest expense is $1,464,178 to pay for the costs associated with providing the water, sewer and natural gas service for the town’s residents.

Ad valorem taxes will increase slightly — from .823 mils last year to .9048 mils. The new millage rate is estimated to generate $30,000 for the town during the 2010-2011 budget year, compared to $26,000 in the last fiscal  year.

The budget passed 4-0 with council member Henry Hawkins absent from the budget public hearing Monday night. No members of the public spoke for or against the budget.

To view a summary of the budget in pdf format, click here or the image below.

Pictured top: The Century Town Council meets Monday night in regular session. From the left:  Nadine McCaw, Ann Brooks, Sharon Scott, Henry Hawkins and Gary Riley. Hawkins was absent from a budget public hearing held just prior to the council meeting. NorthEscambia.com photo, click to enlarge.

« Previous PageNext Page »