Scott Stands Strong Against Rail Cash; Evers Removes Signature From Rail Letter

February 22, 2011

While backers rallied Monday in Tampa and officials in Washington continued working on plans that did not involve state approval, Gov. Rick Scott reiterated his objection to accepting federal money for high speed rail in central Florida, even if the state is not involved. And Senator Greg Evers removed his signature from a letter about the rail funding to the federal transportation boss.

And the effort by lawmakers to go around Scott’s objection was weakened when one of the 26 state senators who signed a letter opposing Scott’s move changed his mind. Twenty-six was a veto-proof number in the Senate, but with the defection of Sen. Greg Evers, that’s no longer the case.

But even so, Scott told reporters Monday in Tallahassee that he was doubtful a plan could emerge that would satisfy his concerns over the long-sought Tampa-to-Orlando project, for which the federal government had offered to pay $2.4 billion of the roughly $2.7 billion projected cost.

“As you know, I’ve said all along I don’t believe that there is anyway the taxpayers of the state should be on the hook for the operational cost of that or for the risks if it gets shut down,” Scott said Monday. “I don’t see any way to do that.”

Over the weekend, rail advocates had hoped that Scott was leaving the door open to the possibility of allowing them to accept the money. A spokesman for U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson said the Democrat came away from a joint appearance with Scott at the Daytona 500 convinced the governor would at least look at the plans being crafted.

However, Scott appeared Monday to put the horse back in the barn.

“Despite efforts by many to re-open the door to high speed rail, my position has not changed,” he posted on his Facebook page, on which he has almost 60,000 friends.

Meanwhile, Evers, R-Baker, said he regretted signing the letter to U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood last week that suggested that two statewide rail panels set up by the Legislature could accept the $2.4 billion Scott rejected.

“As a representative of the people of Florida Senate District 2, I do hereby remove my signature on the letter you received on Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011, regarding funding for High Speed Rail,” Evers wrote to LaHood. “Let me be very clear. I do not want to spend one dime on High Speed Rail and I absolutely support Gov. Scott sending the money back. I regret signing the letter as I believe it misconstrued my position on High Speed Rail.

“I was trying to send a message to Gov. Scott to bring to the forefront my firm belief that we should not fund any rail projects with state or federal money,” Evers concluded.

Evers also suggested that Scott put the brakes on a separate proposed commuter train in Orlando, SunRail, which the governor has said he is currently reviewing. Without Evers on board, lawmakers in the Florida Senate lose the implied possibility of overriding a veto of any rail legislation or budget line items they pass.

However, another plan emerged Monday that would not involve lawmakers in Tallahassee at all. The plan, which U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor detailed to reporters, would call for the creation of a new independent agency with representatives from the local jurisdictions that would house the proposed 84-mile train.

A separate plan from Orlando Congressman John Mica, the chairman of the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure committee, would have called for the first leg of the train to be shortened to 21 miles between the Orlando Airport to the city’s convention center and Disney World to prove the viability of the train to Scott. That plan appeared to never get rolling with U.S. transportation officials, however.

An afternoon “Rally for Rail” in Tampa was said to have drawn about 200 people, though opponents of the project ran a counter-rally to convince Scott to stand firm against the project. The event was co-sponsored by former Tampa City Councilwoman Linda Saul-Sena and the Livable Tampa Roundtable group.

Frequent Arrestee Ronald Newton Sentenced To 22 Months In State Prison

February 22, 2011

A Century man arrested over a dozen times in a year was sentenced Monday to almost two years in state prison for stalking.

Ronald Berlan Newton, 49, pleaded no contest to two counts of aggravated stalking by stalking a minor under 16 years of age, once count of stalking and one count of violation of an injunction.

Newton was found guilty by Judge Jan Shackleford and sentenced to 22 months in state prison.

Between September 1, 2009, and June 2, 2010, Newton had repeated illegal contact with two minors and their mother, according to the State Attorney’s Office. The mother of the minor children  had an injunction in place forbidding Newton to come onto her property or have any contact with her.

Last year, Newton was found incompetent and remanded into the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families for evaluation. He was later found competent to stand trial.

His arrests since 2007, according to court records, included a long list of charges that were dropped or dismissed included aggravated assault, criminal mischief, battery, lewd and lascivious behavior victim under 18, indecent exposure, disorderly conduct and contempt of court.

Time Is Running Out To Save On Your Escambia Property Taxes

February 22, 2011

Time is running out if you want to save one percent on your property tax bill.

A one percent discount when you pay your real estate and tangible personal property taxes ends on Monday, February 28, according to Janet Holley, Escambia County tax collector. Over $38 million — about 18 percent — of the tax roll remains unpaid.

In addition, payments will receive the one percent discount if:

  • mailed with a postmark of February 28
  • left in a 24-hour drop box available at all tax collector offices by midnight February 28
  • made on the tax collector web site by midnight February 28
  • made on the tax collector after-hours automated telephone (800) 601‑1055 by midnight February 28

Drive thru service and 24-hour drop boxes are available at all tax collector locations.

You may check the status of your taxes and pay online at www.escambiataxcollector.com. If you have any questions, please call the tax collector’s office at (850) 438-6500, ext. 252. TTY users for the hearing impaired call (850) 472-0031.

New Prisons Chief Less Interested In Lock Them Up, Throw Away The Key

February 22, 2011

More drug treatment, juvenile intervention and giving judges more flexibility in sentencing are the ways to improve Florida’s correctional system, the state’s newest prisons chief said Monday.

With only 96 hours under his belt, DOC Secretary Ed Buss spoke to reporters for the first time, answering questions on a range of issues he’ll likely face as he leads one of the nation’s largest prison systems during tough budget times.

Buss, 45, was lauded by his former boss, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, as a rising star in a new generation of prison officials when Scott tapped him to replace Walter McNeil.

With 29,000 inmates and a $650 million budget, Indiana’s prison system is much smaller than Florida’s, a sprawling network of facilities and programs overseeing more than 102,000 prisoners at a cost of $2.4 billion.

Scott has called for streamlining the agency and cutting close to 1,700 jobs. Buss, who cut 1,000 jobs while head of Indiana’s system, said Monday he’ll target middle and upper management first before cutting into front line workers.

“We will streamline from the top first,” said Buss, adding that he’s cut a third of his executive staff. “We’ve already done that.”

Buss said he intends to push for more innovative programs and early intervention to reduce the adult prison population. A major focus will be on juvenile justice and replacing “tough love” with job training and substance abuse programs.

“The boot camp model is no longer in vogue,” Buss said. “As it turns out, it hasn’t got us the outcomes we wanted in terms of reducing recidivism. These kids today have substance abuse issues like we never seen before. They need to get back in school and get an education.”

That approach is a sea change from the last couple of decades when getting tough on criminals was the demand from a fed-up populace. A series of minimum mandatory sentencing laws has taken effect over that time, including required minimum sentences for crimes using guns, such as 10-20-Life and a number of minimum mandatories for drug crimes, part of the so-called “war on drugs.”

Buss favors giving judges more discretion in handling cases.

”Florida is using incarceration as its number one form of justice,” “Buss said. “If that is the policy decision, you have to realize you are going to have to pay for it because incarceration costs the most compared to other alternatives.”

In addition, drug rehab, vocational and educational programs have been cut as lawmakers have dealt with increasingly tight budgets.

Buss said he said he thinks he can convince legislators and the governor that a little spent up front on those types of programs pays dividends in the end.

“I’m going to do my best,” Buss said. “This governor likes to measure. I’m going to show the measurements to prove to him that where we’re going is the best practice on where we should be going.”

Scott has talked about closing two prisons and privatizing others. Given the tight budget, Buss is onboard, saying Florida must look at less expensive and more successful programs, especially for non-violent offenders.

Buss’ remarks came Monday as Scott visited the Department of Corrections, one of a series of stops at the agencies he now oversees.

Despite the fact that he is proposing substantial job cuts at the agency, the governor was received cordially. Employees did raise concerns about his plans to require state workers to contribute more to their retirements, and possible cuts to health benefits at a time when they haven’t received a pay raise in several years.

By Michael Peltier
The News Service Florida

Students Headed To Washington On EREC Youth Tour

February 22, 2011

Taylor Byrd from Northview High School and Caristyn Golden from Jay High School have been named winners in the Escambia River Electric Cooperative 2011 Youth Tour to Washington contest.

Students from the EREC service area interviewed with a panel of judges in this competition for a chance to win the opportunity to visit Washington.

Judges from PowerSouth Energy Cooperative in Andalusia, Alabama, and Southern Pine Electric Cooperative in Brewton, Alabama, scored contestants in their interviews based on their knowledge of Escambia River Electric Cooperative and the history of rural electrification. Personal attributes of each candidate such as character, academic ability, personality and leadership abilities were also considered.

Byrd and Golden were chosen to represent EREC on the Washington Youth Tour. While in Washington, the teens will have the opportunity to see the sights, learn about our nation’s capitol, rural electrification and make new friends from across the country.

“EREC is very proud to have these two outstanding students represent them on the Washington Youth Tour this year. Congratulations to each of them on achieving this honor,” said Sabrina Owens, EREC spokesperson.

Pictured top: Taylor Byrd (left) from Northview High School and Caristyn Golden from Jay High School will represent EREC on the Washington Youth Tour. Submitted photo for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Opposition Continues To Grow Against Landfill Near North Escambia

February 21, 2011

The list of governments opposed to a new landfill in Conecuh County, Alabama, continues to grow. The new 5,100 acre landfill will be located only about 25 miles north of Century and the North Escambia area.

Worries range from environmental impacts, property values to negative effects on roads, bridges and even tourism.

http://www.northescambia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/nodumppress11.jpgEscambia County, Fla., Escambia County, Ala.,  Baldwin County, Monroe County, Atmore,  Flomaton,  Brewton, East Brewton Excel, Frisco City, Excel, Monroeville, Repton and the Poarch Creek Indians have all passed resolutions in opposition to Conecuh Woods. Monday night, the Town of Century also voted to take a  stance against Conecuh Woods.

Conecuh Woods LLC has formally applied for the landfill, which will include a 1,600 acre “disposal cell” from Range to Repton to near the Big Escambia Creek. Big Escambia Creek flows southward into Escambia County, Alabama, through Flomaton and drains through a North Escambia swamp into the Escambia River and then Escambia Bay.

Escambia County (Fla.) commissioners have said the dump could have an indirect environmental impact in Florida.

Conecuh Woods does not call their facility a dump or even a landfill on their website. Instead, they refer to it as a “state of the art waste disposal and green energy facility” that will be “environmentally safe” and “economically sound”.

The Citizens for a Clean Southwest Alabama has hired a law firm to fight the proposed dump.  Holding signs that proclaimed “No Dump!”, the protesters gathered as the Conecuh County Commission met last week to discuss plans for public hearing next month on the landfill, which will accept about 15,000 tons of waste per day from across the country.

And even health officials have spoken out against the landfill.

“This project, if enacted, will be one of the mega threats to public health issues today and for generations to come,” said Ruth Harrell of the Coalition for a Healthier Escambia County (Ala.). “This project poses health risks to the entire region, and to the state…not just to Conecuh County.”

A public hearing for the Conecuh County Commission to consider approval for Conecuh Woods is set for March 10, 9 a.m., at Reid State Technical College in Evergreen. The commission has until April 2 to make a decision on the proposal.

Pictured: Residents gather last Monday in Evergreen, Ala., to protest a planned 5,1000 landfill.  File photos courtesy WALA FOX 10 for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Ronnie Gilmore Of Molino Named BBB Trustee

February 21, 2011

Ronnie Gilmore of Molino has been named a new trustee of the Better Business Bureau Foundation of Northwest Florida.

Gilmore is the owner of Gilmore Services, a business started by his father in 1955 and run by Gilmore since 1979. Gilmore Services has been a BBB Accredited Business since 2001.

Gilmore joins returning trustees Gary Barnes, Walmart, Creighton Road; Lori Clause, Studer Group; Will Clause, Southern Breeze One Hour A/C & Heating; Jim Cox, retired; Mike Grossman, Cox Communications; Ted Kirchharr, Landrum Companies; and Bobby Taylor, All Pro Sound.

The BBB Foundation of Northwest Florida is a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation formed to allow the BBB to provide community education and recognition programs.

Escambia Awarded For Methane Gas Power Project

February 21, 2011

Escambia County Division of Solid Waste Management was awarded the United States Environmental Protection Agency Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) 2010 Community Partner of the Year award.

On November 15 Escambia County Solid Waste Management was nominated to receive the award for their dedication to the landfill gas industry through their development of Gulf Power’s Landfill Gas-to-Energy Project, located on Escambia County Perdido Landfill property.

Escambia County chose Gulf Power as the successful bidder to develop a 3.2 MW (mega watt) electrical generation project. This is the first landfill gas-to-energy project in Gulf Power’s service territory. The plant has been operating at greater than 97 percent since start-up on October 7.

Pictured: Gulf Power Company’s Landfill Gas-to-Energy facility, including two 1,600-kilowatt landfill gas generators. Submitted photos by Sean Smith, Gulf Power, for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Two Escambia Men Facing Up To Life In Prison For Armed Robberies

February 21, 2011

State Attorney Bill Eddins has announced that two Escambia County men face maximum sentences of life in prison after being convicted on armed robbery charges for two separate crimes.

Dymielle Chandler, 19, was convicted by an Escambia County jury last week of robbery with a weapon, burglary of conveyance armed with explosives or deadly weapon, and aggravated battery with great bodily harm.

On January 27, 2010, Chandler was waiting inside the victim’s pizza delivery truck when he robbed her with a knife to her throat then fled on foot. Chandler was located by the Escambia County K-9 Unit hiding under a house which was located directly behind the parking lot where the victim’s car was parked. Also, the victim’s blood was found on the jacket that Chandler was wearing when he was apprehended, according to the State Attorney’s Office.

Judge Joel Boles scheduled sentencing for May 19, 2011. Chandler faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Kadeem Phillips, 19, was convicted by an Escambia County Jury of robbery with a firearm.

On January 20, 2010, Nakeil Johnson was walking down Jackson Street when Phillips approached him, pointed a gun at him and demanded money. Because Johnson had no money, Phillips forced him to turn over his wedding ring, according to the State Attorney’s Office.

Judge Michael Allen scheduled sentencing for March 25, 2011. Phillips faces a maximum of life in state prison with a 10-year minimum mandatory.

State Approves Escambia Comprehensive Plan

February 21, 2011

After more than a year of non-compliance, the State of Florida has signed off on Escambia County’s Comprehensive Plan.

County Administrator Randy Oliver said that the Florida Department of Community Affairs found Escambia County’s Comprehensive Plan to be in compliance with the State of Florida’s Local Government Comprehensive Planning and Land Development Regulation Act. The county’s Comprehensive Plan had not been in compliance since October 2009.

Escambia County’s Comprehensive Plan is a long-range master plan that addresses future land use, housing, transportation, infrastructure, coastal management, conservation, recreation and open space, intergovernmental coordination and capital improvements.

The Comprehensive Plan includes the Mid-West Escambia County Optional Sector Plan. The Sector Plan is a long-term planning process that encourages cohesive and sustainable development patterns within central Escambia County, emphasizing urban form and the protection of regional resources and facilities.

Based on an analysis of its Future Land Use categories, the county has consolidated the previous 36 categories to 11 categories for simplicity and efficiency. The goals, objectives and policies of the Comprehensive Plan were also revised to be consistent with these newly adopted future land use categories.

A Comprehensive Plan serves as a guide for making local land use decisions and helps the county prioritize capital projects. The Comprehensive Plan also serves to protect and preserve the county’s economic base, its rich heritage and abundant natural resources. Finally, the Comprehensive Plan seeks to protect and enhance quality of life for residents and visitors alike through the year 2030.

To Escambia County’s Comprehensive Plan and related information, click here.

« Previous PageNext Page »