Summer Reading Required For Ernest Ward, Ransom Middle Students

July 15, 2014

Students attending Ernest Ward or Ransom Middle schools in the fall have a summer reading assignment. The students are assigned to read one novel from a reading list for each grade before the first day of school on August 18.

The Ransom Middle School library will be  August 5 from noon until 4 p.m.  for students to check out books that are due by August 19.

Novels can be purchased at area book stores, online or checked out from a school or West Florida Regional Library branch. They can be purchased and read on an e-reader such as the Kindle, Nook or iPad.

Projects focusing on the students’ understanding of basic literature terms and comprehension of the novel will be assigned by language arts teachers once the school year begins.

The Ernest Ward and Ransom Middle reading lists are as follows:

Incoming 6th grade:

  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story, Linda Sue Park
  • A Long Way from Chicago, Richard Peck
  • Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson (***Ransom only)
  • Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, Jordan Sonnenblick (***Ernest Ward only)
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Brian Selznick
  • Mockingbird, Kathryn Erkine
  • Old Yeller, Fred Gipson
  • Slob, Ellen Potter
  • The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Avi
  • The Trumpet of the Swan, E.B. White
  • The View from Saturday, E.L Konigsburg

Incoming 7th grade:

  • Any Which Wall , Laurel Snyder
  • Breaking Stalin’s Nose, Eugene Yelchin
  • Dragonwings, Laurence Yep
  • Eragon, Christopher Paolini
  • Escape! The Story of the Great Houdini, Sid Fleischman
  • Heart of a Samurai, Margi Preus
  • Lost in the River of Grass, Ginny Rorby
  • Moon over Manifest, Clare Vanderpool
  • One Crazy Summer, Rita Williams-Garcia
  • The Anybodies, N.E. Bode
  • After Ever After, Jordon Sonnenblick (***Ernest Ward only)

Incoming 8th grade:

  • Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer
  • Carver: a Life in Poems, Marilyn Nelson
  • Dead End in Norvelt, Jack Gantos
  • Fire from the Rock, Sharon Draper
  • Football Genius, Tim Green
  • Lockdown, Walter Dean Myers
  • Peter and the Starcatchers, Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  • Tasting the Sky: A Palestinian Childhood , Ibtisam Barakat
  • The Wednesday Wars, Gary D. Schmidt
  • Wild Things, Clay Carmichael

For more information, contact your child’s school.

Northview, Tate, West Florida, Ernest Ward FFA Members Attend State Convention

July 15, 2014

About 40 Escambia County middle and high school students attended the 86th Florida FFA Convention earlier this month in Orlando. Escambia County was represented by FFA chapters from Northview, Tate and West Florida high schools, and Ernest Ward Middle School. Pictured top: Escambia County’s FFA members at the state convention in Orlando. Photo for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Montgomery Biscuits Take Series With 4-3 Win Over The Wahoos

July 15, 2014

In his last three starts, Mikey O’Brien has pitched in High-A Bakersfield, Calif., Triple-A Louisville, Ky., and then returned to Double-A Pensacola.

But O’Brien said Monday all the travel didn’t bother him as he went up against Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Jeremy Hellickson and held his own, leaving after seven innings with a 3-2 lead.

However, the Montgomery Biscuits came from behind in the eighth inning with two runs to win the game, 4-3, and to take the series, 3-2, in front of 4,050 fans at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium.

O’Brien pitched his longest outing of the season, going seven strong innings. He retired the last 12 batters he faced and 15 of the last 16. O’Brien allowed four hits, two earned runs, one walk and struck out three.

“I don’t mind traveling as long as I have a job and I am out on the mound every fifth day,” O’Brien said. “For the most part, I felt locked in and in a groove.”

Blue Wahoos manager Delino DeShields said it was one of O’Brien’s best outings for Pensacola.

“He ran into a little trouble in the third but outside of that he was in total control out there,” he said.

Meanwhile, Hellickson, who made his season debut Tuesday in Tampa Bay against the Kansas City Royals, got in six innings of work. He had arthroscopic surgery on his throwing elbow in January. Hellickson looked just fine Monday, striking out 11 Wahoos, including seven of the last eight batters he faced. He walked none, while giving up just one run.

“I was just treating tonight like it was a real game,” said Hellickson, a righty who is 39-31 with a 3.69 ERA in five seasons with Tampa Bay. “It’s the best I’ve felt command wise and with my changeup. I was pretty happy with how my day went.”

O’Brien said he found Hellickson’s work on the mound fun to watch.

“I’ve enjoyed watching him pitch for the last couple of years,” O’Brien said. “He showed tonight why he’s a Major Leaguer.”

Hellickson is scheduled to start for High-A Charlotte on Sunday. He rejoins Tampa Bay’s rotation at the start of its first post-All-Star break homestand, a three-game series against the Boston Red Sox from July 25-27.

“I’m looking forward to it quite a bit,” said Hellickson about his second start for the Rays, after allowing one run and six hits with two strikeouts and one walk in 4.1 innings against the Royals.

Pensacola took the lead, 3-2, in the seventh inning on an opposite field solo home run by Kyle Waldrop and a line drive shot over the left field wall by Juan Duran. Duran’s solo homer tied him with the second most homers in Blue Wahoos history in a season with 11. Travis Mattair holds the single-season record, hitting 13 dingers last season.

The Blue Wahoos are off Tuesday during the Major League All-Star Game. They start a five-game series on the road at Miami Marlins Double-A affiliate the Jacksonville Suns that gets underway at 6:05 p.m EST Wednesday. RHP Daniel Corcino (8-7, 4.40) takes the mound for the Wahoos and is scheduled to be opposed by the Suns LHP Chipper Smith (3-3, 4.02).

by Tommy Thrall

Escambia Man Gets Two Life Sentences For Two Robberies

July 15, 2014

An Escambia County man will spend the rest of his life in prison for two robberies last year.

Zethaniah Alexander Faulk was sentenced Monday by Circuit Judge Terry Terrell to Life without parole in state prison on a charge of robbery while armed with a firearm. He was also sentenced to an additional life sentence without parole on a second count of robbery while armed with a firearm. In addition, Faulk was sentenced to 40 years in prison on two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm Faulk was sentenced as a habitual felony offender and as a prison releasee reoffender on each count and all prison sentences are to be served consecutively.

The charges stemmed from two Circle K robberies which occurred approximately one hour apart on May 15, 2013. Faulk was masked and carried a firearm during both robberies. He utilized the firearm to batter the clerks from each store before stealing money and other items. He was identified with the help of a Crime Stoppers tip and the  fact that a distinctive tattoo was matched to his person, according to prosecutors.

Faulk has an extensive prior criminal history which dates back to 1993. Previous convictions include robbery, aggravated battery.burglary, and  numerous other charges.

Weekend Shooting Under Investigation; Investigators Seek Man For Questioning

July 14, 2014

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating a weekend shooting on Cross Street, and they have named a man they want to find for questioning in the case.

About 8:30 a.m. Sunday, deputies responded to an armed disturbance in the 3000 block of Cross Street. They found a black male suffering from multiple gunshot woulds under a carport. He was transported to a local hospital. An updated on his condition was not provided Monday. The incident appears to be drug related, according to a news release from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators are looking for Christopher Germaine Gill for questioning only because they believe he may have information in the case, according to a news release. Gill, 36, has an active arrest warrant in another case.

Anyone with information on the shooting or Gill’s whereabouts  is asked to call Gulf Coast Crime Stoppers at (850) 433-STOP.

Century Woman Sentenced For Thefts, Burglaries

July 14, 2014

A Century woman has been sentenced to 30 months in state prison on multiple theft and burglary related charges.

Sunceree Covan Bledsoe, 49, was accused by her mother in December 2013 of stealing two checks and antique silver coins with a face value of $298 that were worth an estimated $1,o00. Bledsoe allegedly sold some of the coins to a Jefferson Avenue resident for $10 cash. Bledsoe then allegedly redeemed additional coins at a coin to cash machine at the Century Food Giant, receiving $28.09 . She was convicted of grand theft and felony dealing in stolen property charges.

Bledsoe was also convicted in  a second case of  burglary, grand theft, larceny of a credit card and fraudulent use of credit cards to obtain goods.

According to court records, Bledsoe had multiple previous convictions in Escambia County including grand theft, burglary, drug charges, battery on a person 65 or older and prostitution.

Chumuckla Camping Trips Leads To Child Molestation Conviction

July 14, 2014

A man has been convicted on multiple child molestation charges after a weekend camping trip in Chumuckla.

Ramon Wade Renfro of Pace was convicted by a Santa Rosa County jury of lewd or lascivious battery, lewd or lascivious molestation, unlawful sexual activity with minors, contributing to the delinquency of a child and tattooing a minor.

The 40-year  old Renfro was supervising a group of teenagers on a weekend camping trip to Webb Landing in Chumuckla in February 2013. During the camping trip, Renfro fondled and had sexual relations with several of the girls who were between 14 and 16 years old.

He gave the teens vodka, whiskey and beer to get them drunk before molesting them. Renfro used tools he brought with him to give one of the girls two tattoos in private locations. One of the girls disclosed the activity to her parents after returning from the trip. They notified the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office and Investigator Alvin Bicasan conducted an investigation, which led to Renfro’s  arrest on May 24, 2013.

When questioned by Investigator Bicasan, Renfro denied engaging in any sexual acts or inappropriate touching. He further denied providing or bringing alcohol on the camping trip. Renfro claimed that he had not given the girls tattoos; however, during the trial prosecutor Stephanie Pace introduced photographic  evidence of the tattoos. Witnesses testified that they had seen Renfro giving the tattoos and engaging in sexual acts with the girls.

Circuit Judge John Simon also found Renfro guilty of violating his felony probation. Renfro had been placed on three years probation on February 10, 2011 for failure to redeliver hired or leased property. Simon set sentencing for August 13.

Renfro faces a sentence of up to 50 years in state prison.

I-10 Delays Near Highway 29 Through August

July 14, 2014

Beginning this morning, drivers traveling I-10 between I-110 and  Highway 29 will encounter lane closures, land shifts and reduced speed limits.

The speed limit reductions will be near mile marker 11.

Construction crews will perform emergency pipe repair work on culverts under the westbound lanes.  This pipe damage is a result of the April 2014 floods in the Escambia County area, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.

The repairs will be completed by the end of August.

Drivers are reminded to use extreme caution while traveling through the work zone. All construction activities are weather dependent and may be delayed or re-scheduled in the event of inclement weather.

First Baptist Bratt Celebrates Freedom; Burns Mortgage Note

July 14, 2014

The First Baptist Church of Bratt held a very special “Freedom Sunday” this weekend. The Freedom Choir presented the musical “It’s America: The Songs We Sing…The Land We Love”. There was also a special message on freedoms, and the church”burned the note” to celebrate paying off their Family Life Center. Photos by Marcella Wilson for NorthEscambia.com, click to enlarge.

Montgomery Tops Pensacola 12-2

July 14, 2014

At least two Pensacola Blue Wahoos players had a day to remember on the field Sunday – outfielder Jesse Winker and pitcher Robert Stephenson.

Playing in the 16th annual SiriusXM All-Star Futures game with the top 50 prospects in minor league baseball at Target Field in Minneapolis, Winker had the game’s first hit and first run, while Stephenson had the fastest recorded pitch in the game among all the pitchers at 98.1 miles per hour.

Meanwhile, the Blue Wahoos had a forgettable day against the Montgomery Biscuits at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium, losing 12-2. The Wahoos are now 5-41 in games they trailed after seven innings.

But in Minnesota, Winker, the Cincinnati Reds No. 4 prospect, hit a double off the left field wall to lead off the third inning and later scored to give the U.S. Team a 1-0 lead over the World Team. He went 1-2 on the day.

Wahoos leftfielder Kyle Waldrop has known Winker the past two years and said all the players cheered in the dugout when his hit was announced to the stadium.

“He definitely deserves to be there,” Waldrop said. “We were all excited for him.”

Stephenson threw a scoreless 8th inning. In a matchup of the Reds’ top prospect versus the Chicago Cubs’ top prospect – shortstop Javier Baez – Stephenson came out on top striking Baez out on four pitches. Stephenson gave up one hit.

His roommate, Wahoos pitcher Jon Moscot, said Stephenson didn’t sleep the night before flying out to Sunday’s game.

“He was estatic about it and told me he wanted to see how hard he could throw it,” Moscot said. “We all know about Baez. That’s a great matchup for Stephenson.”

Back in Pensacola, the game unraveled for the Wahoos in the seventh inning when Montgomery first baseman Cameron Seitzer hit a grand slam and then the very next batter, third baseman Richie Shaffer, followed up with a solo homer over the left field wall. The Biscuits all of a sudden changed a 3-2 lead to an 8-2 game.

The good news in Lively’s bid for his first victory at the Double-A level, he struck out a season-high nine batters with the Wahoos in five innings of work. The bad news: the Biscuits Ryan Brett and Jeff Hager hit back-to-back solo shots over the leftfield wall to put Montgomery ahead, 3-1, in the fifth inning.

Lively, who took the loss and now is 0-3, did retake the lead in strikeouts in minor league baseball with 131 Ks. He surpassed Single-A Visalia Rawhide pitcher Aaron Blair, who has 125.

Wahoos Manager Delino DeShields said he hopes Winker and Stephenson and the other Pensacola ballplayers continue to improve after the games they played Sunday.

“I hope they benefit from their experiences and are better players next time around,” he said. “People’s expectations were a little higher than mine. I knew there would be ups and downs coming in.”

The finale of the five-game series with Tampa Bay Rays Double-A affiliate the Montgomery Biscuits gets underway at 6:30 p.m. Monday. RHP Mikey O’Brien (3-3, 3.86) takes the mound for the Wahoos and is scheduled to be opposed by the Biscuits RHP Jeremy Hellickson, who is rehabbing from arthroscopic surgery on his throwing elbow.

by Tommy Thrall

« Previous PageNext Page »