Escambia Ups CARES Act Family Grants, Using Money From Business Relief Program

October 16, 2020

The Escambia County Commission has approved increasing  the amount of CARES Act grant funding for individuals, using money that was first allocated for business relief.

The board voted to increase the award amount from $2,000 to $3,000 for the Escambia CARES Family Assistance Grant Program and from $3,000 to up to $7,500 for the Rent and Mortgage Grant Program. The application for both has closed.

ESCAMBIA CARES FAMILY ASSISTANCE GRANT PROGRAM

Each qualified household applicant will receive $3,000 as part of the Escambia CARES Family Assistance Grant Program, and applicants should receive confirmation emails within the next three weeks. The additional amount will come from the reassignment of funds earmarked for the Escambia CARES Business Assistance Grant Program and from the third phase of funds that the state has allocated to the county but has yet to distribute. The Board increased the award amount and the total pool of money in order to impact the county’s residents in the best possible way.

In total, more than 9,000 applications were received for the Escambia CARES Family Assistance Grant. The Board expects to have more than 5,000 approved applications once all duplicated, incomplete or ineligible applications are vetted. Please keep in mind the award is per household so if there are duplicate emails or addresses that were submitted, only one may be approved and other duplicate applications will be denied. As of Thursday’s board meeting, 1,500 applications have been approved and prepared to send to the Escambia County Clerk of Court’s Office for payment with another 1,500 under a second review for approval.

“We just need everyone to have patience as we process the incredible volume of applications we received,” said Clara Long, director of Neighborhood and Human Services. “Within the next three weeks, we will have the majority of the applications processed and sent for approval. We intend to reach out to those who may have had trouble filling out their applications so we can help as many residents as possible in our county; however, we ask those applicants to be patient while we quickly work on getting assistance out to those who are clearly qualified.”

Those who haven’t received approval or denial of their application in the next three weeks are those applicants who are in a lengthier approval process. Long said that applicants who are in this longer approval process will be contacted and made aware of their status by the end of this three-week period.

ESCAMBIA CARES BUSINESS ASSISTANCE GRANT PROGRAM

The Escambia CARES Business Assistance Grant Program received 490 applications. Distribution of this grant has begun with 76 applications moved forward to funding, all of which were approved for $7,500 of aid. The Board anticipates that most of the approved applications will be funded with the $2.8 million that is allocated for this grant program.

ESCAMBIA CARES RENT AND MORTGAGE ASSISTANCE GRANT PROGRAM

The Rent and Mortgage Assistance Grant was made available by the Florida Housing Finance Corporation to cover rent and utilities or mortgage or utilities in arrears due to a direct loss or reduction of income due to COVID-19. The Board decided to increase the ceiling on the grant to $7,500 to help residents of Escambia County avoid eviction or foreclosure.

Comments

19 Responses to “Escambia Ups CARES Act Family Grants, Using Money From Business Relief Program”

1. B Hayes on October 29th, 2020 3:43 pm

I applied the first day, last week it said I was approved. This week it says ready to be sent to clerk. So I see they moving quick. Next week I may be receiving a payment. Just remember check your emails an be patient.

2. Lisa Tyler on October 29th, 2020 3:22 pm

Any updates? I had applied on September 26th , haven’t heard anything. Really need some assistance please.

3. Matthew Reeser on October 29th, 2020 2:27 pm

I applied on the 26 of Sept there going to send u a email saying ur approved and give you a case number

4. jermaina jackson on October 28th, 2020 10:04 pm

i hope this help some of you they are working on the applications and i kniw some people who already gotten approved even though i havent yet im staying prayed up cause god knows i can use this help

5. Joshua Fuqua on October 27th, 2020 12:18 pm

I had applied at the end of September. Haven’t heard anything back yet . Please need help

6. Lisa on October 27th, 2020 12:15 pm

I had applied on September 26. I haven’t heard anything back yet could someone please help me to find out what’s going on? Please thank you

7. Amanda Sharon on October 25th, 2020 6:32 pm

I too applied on the first few hours. Status says pending more information. I have emailed in a signed W9, a COVID-19 layoff letter from employer as well as letter from DEO and still nothing. I am back working and reduced pay and my husband at reduced hours. My rent was increased in May. I need help to pay bills and keep food and diapers for my 2 year old. Please help. Reach out to me and tell me what is needed please.

8. Patricia A Wearnes on October 24th, 2020 9:18 am

I applied in person on the 26th I work in healthcare my hours was cute then I came in contacted with someone with covid I missed almost 8 weeks of works due to testing positive for covid during that time.I had to take 5 covid test.Quarantined at home only pay was from cashing the little PTO I had.The building on palafox wouldn’t accept my paperwork I had proving this information that really has me confused!! That’s the reason I applied due to missing work and being sick.Its past 3 weeks I still havent heard anything.I know ppl that’s been approved that hasnt missed work.Im confused.

9. Tyler Arnette on October 22nd, 2020 12:10 pm

These comments are:
    1. A pretty good indication of how the citizens of Pensacola are suffering.
    2. A pretty good indicator of how mismanaged, ill equipped and understaffed they are to handle this process.
    3. Very sad. I feel for all of you. I haven’t been able to breathe for months after getting affected, it frequently has caused me to lose income, and doctors don’t know what to do. But that doesn’t stop the hospital bills from coming. We are suffering and we need help. We need assistance. We need relief. We need better leadership. We need an unemployment website that works. And we need this money now, not in three months.

10. Matthew Reeser on October 21st, 2020 11:30 pm

I was notified on the 19 th and said I should be approved just had to send one more proof of address id

11. Tyler Arnette on October 20th, 2020 3:40 pm

We need this money now. Pensacola citizens are suffering. No phone calls, no emails, no response. Hard to be patient when you can’t pay rent and the eviction ban is done. Escambia county is letting down its citizens by being underprepared and clearly understaffed to provide relief. Willing to be half of us are denied.

12. Jeremias on October 17th, 2020 2:38 pm

I applied the same week it opened up and after filing the claim there was no way of checking a status. I found that very disappointing considering the amount of documentation that was needed to apply. Saying that those who haven’t been contacted are those that are in a lengthier process is even more disappointing, since it doesn’t seem as if anyone at all has been contacted. I won’t put my needs above anyone else that applied, but I would like some actual communication from anyone associated with this process. We ALL can use these funds and not being communicated with isn’t helping.

13. Gladys Melton on October 16th, 2020 11:51 pm

I applied for housing and a school grant when it first was announced and still haven’t. heard anything .

14. Erika Yost on October 16th, 2020 2:55 pm

I applied to first day, within the first 5 min that the program application allowed. I’m in need of this grant, so bad. I work in healthcare, was laid off, then came back to work with minimal hours. I started a new job screening COVID patients, where I made contact with a patient who had it and I became sick. I submitted my letter of quarantine and all documents, and I still haven’t heard anything back. I check everyday, as news of this would put my worries and stress at a zero. I do thank you for your consideration..

15. Desiree Anderson on October 16th, 2020 2:02 pm

Im on disability was working part time while raising my granddaughter. I was in in the medical field as a cna. Because i also care for my mom who is also ill, i had to stop my part time jib to keep her and my family safe. Not working with no other income but my disability is not enough. I have falling behind in rent and utilities.

16. Sadia Hill on October 16th, 2020 1:27 pm

I have been out of work since march 17 2020 and i have been looking for employment i do home care and it’s lack of hours due to the family members that’s worried about their loved one so don’t want outside of home care some places are only hiring if you have your own family or friend member i haven’t gotten my unemployment in 3 weeks i have 3 kids and a house hole to run im a single parent i really need the help to help my family

17. Tracy Woodall on October 16th, 2020 1:21 pm

I really need help for my business

18. Barbetta hayes on October 16th, 2020 12:32 pm

On mines it says pending information. I sent everything on online site. And also emailed covid 19 impact letter from employer. So hopefully I did everything right

19. CG Anderson on October 16th, 2020 12:06 pm

My husband was laid off due to covid …we met all requirement…and i haven’t been notified yet. I applied the first day.